dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Does anyone else do things in the air without thinking about it? I came off of a jump a little crooked(unintentional), and found myself taking my foot off of the outside peg, and leaning to the inside of the rear end, while moving the bars so that the front wheel is pointing the direction I'm going. (whipped to the right, took right foot off of peg). When I landed, I thought "woah, Did I just do THAT??"

I also came off of another jump whipped a little bit (unintentional), and while in the air I just moved the bars to point the wheel inthe direction i was going.

It was like I was sitting there watching myself do things. I dont practice whipping or anything, and it dosent happen that often, but when I do it, I correct automatically, and I dont know how I learned to do it (correct) either.

Does this happen to anyone else? Or am I just wierd?

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
It's called "your brain learning through fear". :) I really think alot of the time you instinctivly do things like that without thinking.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I have kinda noticed that as well... there is one jump that is a downhill "ski jump" that is about 110 feet long at the track I ride at... I don't go all the way, so I'm not on the gas hard. I noticed that in the air I am over the back of the bike to keep it level. I thought about it once in the air and guess I overreacted (didn't even mean to do anything different) and found that I was way too nose-high.

Yeah, when the bike gets tossed sideways I find myself correcting as well (front wheel pointed toward direction of travel/landing)... usually it isn't a problem because the bike immediately straightens out upon landing.

The time I notice unconcious actions the most is balance-related, especially in mud. When it's muddy I somehow manage to stay upright most of the time, but it's through mostly unconcious work from my muscles... it's really weird, especially since the respond so fast. Also, when riding in the mud my brain get so worn out from always worrying about going down (about 90% of the time if it's really muddy and I'm sliding all over) that I can only handle a few laps at a time!

A lot of times if I start to slide out my muscles will somehow jerk the right way and keep the bike up. Its cool and strange at the same time. Once I was coming out of a corner in the mud and I guess the bike started to slide sideways... my muscles did the bar jerk thing so fast that one side of the bars hit my helmet! I guess I was positioned wrong, but it still shocked me.

The other thing is, when I'm in the air I can't conciously do anything to adjust the angle of the bike (gas/brake/moving). It all happens too fast for me (at least now). There are a bunch of times I almost loop out or endo in the air but I just hang on tight and so far I haven't crashed while jumping. I scare myself sometimes, but I think I have a pretty good feel for how far off I can be and still land safely.

Anyway, yeah, I do unconcious things a lot while riding.

Andy
'84 CR250

Last edited:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
"It's called "your brain learning through fear". I really think alot of the time you instinctivly do things like that without thinking. "

I know! Sometimes I dont even know i do things until I see myself in a video

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i did that today, i hit this jump with WAYY too much lip and went into this sideways-endo-of-death thing, and the only thing i remember is twisting the throttle HARD and i somehow landed perfect, with just enough nose-downess that it was the softest landing ever. i was grinning all over myself for the rest of the day. i tried it again, purposely going into an endo and just about killed myself. i rode an endo for about 12 feet. again, big grin with a tiny bit of fear hinting in my face.

yes, i do do unconcious things a lot. that whole correcting-in-air thing happens so much i dont even regard it any more.

Top Bottom