Glikens11

Jul 18, 2006
anybody know of any under 16 enduro races in michigan...i really want to get into the sport and i'm 15 i'd like to go and check out a few races and see what its actually like and if im up for it...what are the trails like...are they like orv trails or are they more like the mcct...like tight, roots, and lots of trees to clip your handle bars on...i've been riding for 6 years and i want to step it up a notch from trail riding.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Do a search here on DRN, Michigan Trail Riders section for Pinecone, Spring Pine Cone, or Mini Moose - you will get a real good feel of what there is! There is an entire series of races exactly like what you describe, called the Family Enduro Series. The next event in FES is the Mini Moose in MArquette on 7/29. After that, I think there is one in Indiana. You just barely missed the Pinecone last weekend. Earlier this year was the Spring Pine Cone, and the Sand Booger.

The trails in the FES series are not ultra gnarly difficult stuff like the full tilt events, but usually do include some "event trail" which is way tighter than any public trail stuff - but still entirely rideable by a younger or less experienced rider. These events are the perfect way to learn about doing enduros, the ins and outs of timekeepin etc! Sit tight here - I am sure Fatherandson, and a few others directly involved in putting on the FES will add much more info!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Most events cost $15 to enter and have about 100 people enter. The Pine Cone this past weekend has 30 years of history. There are a lot of people that this is the only event they enter for the entire year...we had over 260 people on the trail Saturday morning.
The Mini Moose will be the fifth and final event of the year. The drive to Marquette is worth it....great trails and great people.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Glikens11,

Welcome!!!!

The people who put on the FES do a lot to make the rides enjoyable for a wide range of rider skill levels.

I rode the Pine Cone with my 6 year old grandson and my son, who was involved in his thirtieth Pine Cone Kids' enduro.

It's a good trail ride, complete with enduro scoring at both 12 and 18 MPH. A real challenge.

Mike Sr.

YAMAHUNT

Jul 6, 2006
you can....but it cost you more points....object of an enduro is to be as close to zero as possible. The promoter will provide you a route sheet that will tell you what time to be at certian locations. so that can keep you you some what on time. if you have an odometer on your bike you can keep time using that and a watch...@ 18mph you go 1/10 every 20 seconds ... 3/10 every minute 1 mile every 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Keep in mind that in events that have tight "event trail" sections, you very well may be riding absolutely as fast as you can and still not even manage to do 18. "Fast" is relative to the conditions as well as the riders skill level.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
KTM Mike said:
Keep in mind that in events that have tight "event trail" sections, you very well may be riding absolutely as fast as you can and still not even manage to do 18. "Fast" is relative to the conditions as well as the riders skill level.

Very true. It gets pretty rough in areas, especially those darned slippery log crossings :bang: . If you go too fast you'll get 2 points for the first minute you're fast, and 5 every one after that. You're better off going too slow :P, where you only loose 1 point a minute.

If you're just a beginning rider like me, there's no way you'll be able to maintain 18mph through everything. The wider stuff maybe, but once you hit that event trail you're not going to be able to. The FES series is a great series of enduros for the beginner, from what I've experienced.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The speed changes at these events allows everyone to keep time at 12 mph and provides a challenge at 18 mph. A good combination.

Top Bottom