Sushiholic11

Mar 12, 2007
Oooppsss. I sank my 2002 CR250...pretty badly. Luckily before I hit the water I managed to hit the kill button, so when it went into the water it was not running.

I pulled the plug, flipped the bike over, drained the water out of the cylinder and the exhaust. Pulled the air filter off and tried to sop up as much water as I could.

After a few kicks, it fired up and ran a little rough (I assume water in the carb) so I putted around a little. I ran it for a short time, going harder and harder and it started to run better and better.

I took it home, pulled the plug, put a little 2-stroke oil in the cylinder kicked it over a few times to lube everything up.

I am going to change the tranny oil and clean the air filter tomorrow night. I will change the oil very frequently over the next while and watch it for signs of moisture in the bottom end.

Am I missing anything? Should I be worried about anything in particular?

Any help is appreciated.

Sushi.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
sounds like you got most of it covered. I would check all the bearings and such and try to lube them as well like swing arm, etc. Possibly change out the fuel in the tank if the bike went fully under. You gear oil wont have any effect if theres water in the bottom end. Sounds like you got most of the water out when you flipped it over and drained it, the minimal amount left in there will most like just burn out the exhaust. Also check and make sure your stator side is dry so pull that cover and check.

Sushiholic11

Mar 12, 2007
Thanks for the help.

I changed the oil on Monday night. There wasn't any water in there that I could see. She started 2nd kick (with runners) and ran smooth. I played with the carb a little, and no problems that I could identify.

Time will tell.

Thanks.

wr250rider

Jan 8, 2008
mine was underwater for 4 hours,i got it out and probably did a little too much like pulled the cylinder off and etc.,i would drain the gas,i would also drain that float bowl boat if you havent already,mine poured out water.drain the tranny oil twice.you should be fine to go.

brapbrap

Jan 14, 2008
this happened to me in one of those giant ruts in sam houston nat. forest. my bike sunk in a 10' deep waterfilled rut!i hate to say this, but the bike never was the same,lol.id recomend doing the bearing cleaning thing and get ALL the crap out of the airbox.good luck.

Top Bottom