unequal rate fork springs-OK to do?

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Yeah I know I'm cheap, but is it OK to buy just one fork spring to alter the overall rate?

Say, is a .43 and a .41 the same as two .42's

Thanks

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
It is okay to mix different rate springs....the result is the average rate of the two combined springs.
I'm not sure who's going to sell you just one spring, though!

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Thanks

Yamaha sells their optional rate springs separately, not as pairs. So, at my cost of $22/spring it's a quick way to experiment with a different spring rate.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by WhiPit:
I did not know that........

Me neither, but you can be sure I'm gonna remember it!
smile.gif

yamadawg

Dec 1, 2000
Yes you can mix spring rates.You will come up with odd rates,ex. 43 and 42 would be 42.5 overall 43 and 45 would be 44.To figure this out add the two rates together and divide by 2,that will give you the spring rate that you would have.

------------------
it dont hurt till the bone shows.

2001 YZ 250

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
KTM's came with White power (I believe) forks a while back that had compression damping on one side and rebound damping on the other. So I doubt springs of differnt rates is a problem at all. I do it frequently when testing.

texaspro

Mar 9, 2001
One thing to consider is that there is such a thing as manufacturing tolerances. They are 5% for most OEM's. So a .42kg might not be a .42 by direct test. If you want to be sure you have to test each spring.

motor86

Dec 25, 1999
Wouldn't this put extra stress on the tubes?

What would happen if your compression adjusters or rebound adjusters where not set to the same position on each fork?

I was always told that you are supposed to adjust your clickers on each fork equally. If this is true, then putting a different spring in each would be a problem also due to the twisting.

Thanks

------------------
motor86
85' KDX200(mine-for sale) 96' CR250R(mine)  81' YZ125(Dad's)  81' CM400 (my street bike)
Motor86's home page

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
I don't think it would be a problem. A few years ago KTM had bikes where on fork did the damping and the other had the spring.

Try it and let us know if you can feel any difference.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
OK, a follow up to my one spring change.

After a 70 mile Enduro yesterday I can attest that what I felt was better compliance on the small stuff, with a slight loss of whoop stability (wants to hobby horse).

I put one .40 in with the stock .43 for an average rate of .415. Much easier to pick lines into turns. If there is twisting, unequal flex, etc. I can't feel it.

Any suggestions to stop the hobby horsing? Guess I need to recheck the sag (may be high as a consequence of lowering the front with the softer spring rate) and maybe slow the rear rebound a tad as it feels too active. At a reset I tried more front compression but then my wrists took a pounding and it resisted turning in as well. Didn't have time to soften the rear compression, but would I soften hi or low to level out the bike? Too many questions.

Top Bottom