JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I just removed forks off a freinds 426. I noticed that the axle was somewhat difficult to remove. Upon closer inspection I noticed a discrepancy. With the wheel off, I slid the axle into the fork. One leg was clearly out of align (up and down), so I loosened the triple clamp bolts and slide the fork up and down until the axle aligned properly. After retightening, I noticed that the difference at the top of the triple clamp was 7mm.

These forks have never been off before and bike has few hours on it. Has anybody else seen this before? I understand there will be some manufacturing tolerances, but 7mm seems a little extreme.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Jer, is there a spec measurement for the stantion tube? I know on my Honda Showas there is a spec'ed measurement in the manual for the extended length of the stantion.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
JTT,
I don't know.. But 7mm and the rod would be off the cap! Try to tighten the left and right clickers, if one bottoms out lower then it is a rod / cap issue..

Jer

Thats actually what Honda is doing with there method..(preventing cap / rod issues)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Thanks Jer! That was it. One clicker turned in well over 20 turns. I removed cap and found that the lock nut was turned up the rod (less than 20mm)...just as you said. I guess "someone" had them apart before. :think

Thanks again!!

Top Bottom