GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I have been getting really fast wear on my rear pads the pad closest to the Caliper Piston wears Quickly (Couple of 30+ mile rides) Granted the rides have been really Muddy here in WA but I was wondering if the boot/pin on the caliper which allows it to float on the Rotor needs to be lubed periodically. My buddy on his YZF400 seems to have the same thing happening but his Pads arent reversible ;) I was thinking about getting a Moose solid rotor but I dont know if it makes that much of a difference to justify the price.

Feb 19, 2001
First check to make sure that the brake pins are in good shape. Absolutely no grooves in those pins! Then purge the entire brake system, by replacing the fluid. I've also found that the OEM pads wear longest and best.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I have replaced the fluid once and I only have a few rides on a new set of Moose Hex Head pins I was thinking about lightly sanding the pins to keep them smooth. I am debating trying to fully disassemble the sliding pins that have a boot covering them to lubricate the inside. I have been running the EBC brakes which I seem to only get three rides out of. It is still really muddy here in WA. Maybe I will purge the fluid again.

keetkdx

Apr 18, 2000
He GreenBean

what kind of EBC pads are you using kevlar or the sintered base? i had the same problem and i was running kevlar pads. they do not hold up as good as sintered pads expecially riding in muddy conditions...i switched and know i get alot more rides and better wear.the solid rotor from moose is well worth the price.I also replaced my rotor to a solid one and like i said it works 10 times better.

------------------
Keith y2k KDX 220
CHICKEN WRIST RACING
RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST,BRAKE LATE
"TWIST IT"
AMA MEMBER
NETRA MEMBER

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I just bought another set of the Carbon EBC pads I almost bought the Sintered but the Guys at the dealership scared me by telling me if there is a problem with the Caliper it will get a lot hotter (Rotor and Caliper) with the sintered pads and it may ruin the seals and or Rotor. I have also been using the stock backing plate from the original stock pads on my new pads each time I replace them and the guy's at the dealership told me not to use them on aftermarket pads. I dont need them (The fiberglass pad and metal backing plate). I am going to try that this weekend and see if there is any Chatter or different wear characteristics. Is everyone not using the backing plattes??

maurice

Mar 19, 2001
Greenbean-
I've been using sintered pads for the last five years with no problems, although the disc seems to wear after a couple of years.
I've been using steel and fibreglass backing plates on these after market pads, but if you don't notice any difference then I'll get rid of them.
Maurice

keetkdx

Apr 18, 2000
I think you mad a mistake not getting the sintered base ones. I've had a 93 kdx 200 and all i used was the sintered pads the entire life of the bike w/ the stock backing plates and just sold the bike this year w/the orignal rotor and i ride alot of mud and sand etc. Well good luck i hope those new brakes will last you at least a couple of rides before the next replacement. You should at least try it one time it's not going to kill the bike

------------------
Keith y2k KDX 220
CHICKEN WRIST RACING
RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST,BRAKE LATE
"TWIST IT"
AMA MEMBER
NETRA MEMBER

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I decided on the EBC's because he had two sets and one set was an extra 2mm thick. He was perplexed and called EBC to ask what the diff was and they said it was only that it is thicker. Same $$$ so I figured they would last longer so I went for it. I am going to flush my fluid and clean it up real good to see if there is a difference.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I should have listened to you guys I changed the fluid and made sure the pins (Moose of course) were not grooved and I cleaned the caliper real good. I went for a 40 mile ride and the pads did not look too worn so I shot some contact/brake cleaner in there before the next ride and after 40 more it looks like the piston side pad is almost worn out!! I am going to get some sintered pads and see if it helps. The stealer wants me to bring my bike in so they can check it all out (still under warranty) I dont know what they can do it is a haul up to the dealer over 45 miles.

------------------

Top Bottom