Rm80Ripper

Mar 31, 2007
How do you unflood a older 4 stroke engine without removing the sparkplug? me and my friend were mudding in 2 feet of mud and a bit of water got inhis pipe and he flooded his engine. How do you unflood an older 4-stroke. its like an 80's honda XR 100...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you got your bike under water and water got into the cylinder, you must remove the spark plug. If you try to start the bike with water in the cylinder it will hydraulically lock the cylinder and you will most likely blow out your head gasket. Water does not compress like air.

Remove the spark plug and kick the engine through until water stops coming out of the cylinder. Drain the carb and make sure the air box is dry and the filter is clean and oiled. Then change your engine oil.

Rm80Ripper

Mar 31, 2007
how do you unflood an older 4-stroke without removing th spark plug? its not the same as a 2-stroke, holding it WOT and kickin it over.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rm80Ripper said:
how do you unflood an older 4-stroke without removing th spark plug? its not the same as a 2-stroke, holding it WOT and kickin it over.

If you are talking about cleaning out a flooded engine that is flooded with fuel then yes, you can hold the throttle wide open and kick the bike through a few times and it will clean out the flooded cylinder. This works for both four and two stroke bikes.

If you are talking about a bike that is flooded with water. No, you can't clean it out that way because water does not compress like air and it will BLOW OUT YOUR HEAD GASKET. :nod: You will have to remove the spark plug or the entire cylinder head to clean the water out.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
If it's full of water you might do more than blow a head gasket---I had an old XR stretch the timing chain and bend a valve! Hydralic lock is $eriou$ business!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
P.S. If it's flooded with fuel shut the gas off before kicking it WOT so you're not dumping more raw fuel into your already flooded engine. Of course you should have known! ;)

Top Bottom