Unidentified Drain Bolt on RFS?!?!?!

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Okay - I feel kinda stupid asking this, but I searched and couldn't find anything. Being that I don't have a service manual yet and this is my first KTM RFS.......What is the drain bolt in the back top part of the crankcase? I always knew it was there, but this weekend I was cleaning the bike to prepare to seal the brake spring return bolt(I thought that was where all the oil spooge was coming from). However, after removing the exhaust and shock to get a real good look at things, it looked like it was coming from that drain bolt. I've never removed it previously and when I did remove it yesterday it wasn't exactly loose. I looked in the hole and there appears to be a spring. I noticed there are two copper washers on the drain bolt - almost as if you could take one off to increase tension on the spring?!?!? I'm sure I'm way off here but none of the other RFS owners I talked to seemed to know much about it either. Any input?!

Also, what are the holes in the side of the head on the RFS for? Is it simply leftover from the machining process or do they have a purpose in another application?! Just wondering?! Thanks as always!!

colorado-high

Jul 4, 2000
It is not a drain plug it is the pressure spring for the oil pump. The hole on the right side is a drain hole for the spark plug. .I squirt some contact cleaner around the sparkplug then blow some air in there to clean it out. You dont want all that water and dirt to fall into the cylinder when you remove the plug.The hole on the left side under the water pump is a weep hole for the pump.If you see coolant leaking from this hole you need to replace your water pump seals.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Co. High is right on every count, but if you want to know where the real drain plug is, look past the counter shaft sprocket at the rear of the engine.

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Hey Thanks Shaw - yeah I knew where the real drain bolt was located, I just didn't know how else to describe how that bolt looked visually. Funny how few poeple know what that is. It even took a while to get a response here on this forum.....But as usual, we came through with info everyone can learn from - Thanks again!!

z20ate

Jun 18, 2001
I have a 01 400MXC and also have oil residue around that hole on the back of the cases. I see it after a ride before cleaning the bike. Should this be happening?

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Well Z20, I removed the exhaust and the shock and cleaned that whole area REALLY well. Afterward, I removed the brake return spring bracket and sealed both bolts (even though only the top is wet) and the bracket with RTV. I also removed that oil pump "bolt" and cleaned it all up and snugged it down. Everything should be okay now as far as leaks. I will report back after my ride today and let you knw how it looks!!

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Sorry all, I forgot to report back.:o Yes all I did was remove it, clean it all up and replace the oil pump bolt. That seems to have stopped the leaking from that area. Also, it appears the leak around the sight glass is cured too! I'm happy as it was really starting to get annoying!!

Hey Hiller - RO huh?! I grew up in Southfield! How's that traffic on 696, 275, etc. treatin' ya'?! Man, I don't miss that mess!! Take care!!

Top Bottom