United Off Road races in IL and Midwest

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Anyone familiar with Gussie’s events in the northern Illinois area? I saw on his ’04 schedule that he some early races coming up at Prophetstown and one in May in Ottawa. I might be interested in checking those out…anyone have any experience and details? I’ve never run any of his stuff before. Anyone know what the terrain is typical like and the format and what kind of turnout he gets? Thanks!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
you mean you have not heard the reputation of a 'gusse' run?

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Ryan or Agitt my offer more info but what I know is most of his other runs are 'normal' and get a fairly good attendance.  Of course that depends if he purposely schedules them the same day as a D17 event ;)

Athough there are Ironmen that  don't mind that.  One year I rode the Spring Morrison Enduro on the same minute as Tim Taber and he and a couple buddies finished the enduro and never got off their bikes, rode over to Gussies place and raced his HS! :eek:

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Thanks, Offroader…I did talk to Flyin Ryan about the Gussie races and he said they were good, fun events. I was just looking for some more opinions and experiences from others. Some of the races like the early ones at Prophetstown are within very reasonable driving distance for me, and Ottawa is in my backyard. The one big turn-off is joining another association and paying the $30 fee to be a United racing member. I already join the AMA and District 17, so it’s a bit of a deterrent for us non-rich folks to fork out another thirty large to be a member of another association. But I am curious about all the races and they’re fairly close to me so I thought it was worth an investigation.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Bob,
I raced "The Race" at his place last year. It was tough (I had a few choice words for him while riding) but overall a great event, as a matter of fact I plan on attending a few more of his races this year. At times it seemed like he got a little carried away with the course layout, but then again, thats what made it fun...

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Hey Bob,

Like Grunk said the Prophestown races are alot of fun. It is all sand so he runs that course in the spring in case the ground is still froze or too soft for other places. Nothing hard there, just some tight woods (not much anymore) and sand whoops. I love this place cause it gets you into shape quick. He runs 1 1/2 hours for his local races. If he gets a big turnout he will run two races with the C's & Seniors running first for an hour. Then all the B's, A's and Pro's after that. It works out good that way, not as much traffic. I think he runs a +35 class too, but I heard he has changed some classes this year. Bill use to have a $10.00 day pass for his races but again not sure if that is still around.

I heard the Ottawa race will be at Buffalo Range but that's all I've heard so far. I would guess it will be like anyother race there. Bill trys to keep his local races to no more than 6 or so miles, so the spectators see everyone more often.

I have to return Bill's phone call still so I will ask him about the one day membership thing and more about Ottawa.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Thanks to Ryan and everyone else. If you get any more info from your phone conversation with Bill, please pass it along. The Prophetstown race does sound like fun…if the weather is halfway decent I’ll probably check it out.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
he still has a 1 time $10 day pass but after that you have to buy a membership i beleive the p-town races do whip you in shape the first
couple of races you get very sore

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Agitt,

Are you planning on racing more this year?
If you get some free time e-mail me and maybe we can hook up
and head down to Keithsburg for some punishment!
I was down there last night and things are pretty good , not much snow.
all the of the trails were in great shape.

Munch

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
yep i sure am i sent my shock off for a revalve and stiffer spring should be done in about a week will let you know

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
Munch, is there going to be a frozen toe this year. I am going to ride it come anything. I want to find out where the trails are out that way. I work out in the Rock Island, Oquawka, Aledo during the year, I know Kiethsburg and New Boston fairly good. When I'm working I sometimes bring my bikes lookin for some new riding. I can ride mostly during the week, weekends are busy. Thanks :thumb:

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
djj,

The frozen toe is on as of now,depending on the weather, Super Bowl Sunday!
I plan on trying to get there this year.
There is a good place to ride in Aledo called Pope Creek Motosports.
If you are going to ride there during the week you need to call the day before.
The # is : 309-582--9037. You can't ride alone there but it has quality trails and a small motocross track. Big fun all around..

Keithsburg (Sandy Oaks) is usually good year round unless the snow is too deep to move in. Someone started laying out the trails for the late Febuary HS
this past week

If you need someone to ride with e-mail me and i will try to hook up with you some afternoon. I get off work about 2:30, so there is usually plenty of time to ride.

munch

Top Bottom