radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
I recently purchased a 93 kdx 250. The silencer/spark arrester came with a PC sticker on it and is oval. I am trying to go to LBL KY in the spring and wanted to see if I have a USFS approved model. I can see no markings stamped or otherwise that tells me anything. It has a bend and when I repacked it it had no baffle and the insides were 2 pipes that fit togather. It looks more like an FMF model but no stamping. I don't know how old the silencer is but don't want to lose riding time or have to buy a new one if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone has been to LBL how do they check for a spark arrester or is the bend acting like a spark arrester.

Last edited:

KDX220 Rider

Jul 28, 2000
I assume you're talking about Turkey Bay riding area in LBL. I used to ride there but haven't been since 2000. I've got a friend that still rides there so I'll check with him to see if they are checking on the spark arresters and get back to you. At the time I was riding there, they never once did a bike inspection. I always bought the annual permit so if you plan on going multiple times you'll want to get the annual. BTW, the permits expire in March no matter when you buy it. If you want to go before then and don't want to waste your money, you can purchase a 3 day permit. From your discription it doesn't sound like you have a spark arrester model. Normally a spark arrester model will have a section that you can't take apart when you repack. Some spark arresters have no packing at all.

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
Thanks I think I will just have to take a bite in the ass and try to buy a spark arrester off of **** or buy a new one it only takes a few minutes to change and alot more places to ride around here are requiring them. I am coming from almost Chicago so it is a long way to not be able to ride or having the rangers on our minds the entire time. If you have any information about how things go down there it would be appreciated. We are probably going in the spring. Are there a lot of campsites or campsites you can ride the trails to and from? I hear there is a lot of trails is it pretty well marked or is a gps a good idea? We are pure trail riders but have no sence of direction and less survival skills, the map and website says they are well marked but I don't know what their definition of well marked is.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Aren't spark arrestors generally stamped USFS Approved?

Do you have a picture we can see? (of the spark arrestor / silencer, not you) :-)

I don't know about what was made and sold in the past, but currently, Pro Circuit only makes a KDX250 silencer and FMF only makes a spark arrestor. There is an FMF model on e-Bay right now, but it is not priced too much less than just buying one from a major mail order company.

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
I will try to figure my wife's digital camera out tonight and try to take a picture. The silencer looks like the FMF one with the bend.

KDX220 Rider

Jul 28, 2000
radonc73 said:
If you have any information about how things go down there it would be appreciated. We are probably going in the spring. Are there a lot of campsites or campsites you can ride the trails to and from? I hear there is a lot of trails is it pretty well marked or is a gps a good idea? We are pure trail riders but have no sence of direction and less survival skills, the map and website says they are well marked but I don't know what their definition of well marked is.
The main trails that are marked on the map are somewhat easy to get back to and you can usually figure out how to get back to where you came from. The problem that you might get into is that the secondary trails shoot off in all directions and you can get turned around. Again, if you can get back to a main trail you're okay. Main trails are mostly open and fast (bi-directional so you have to watch for oncoming riders, etc.) Wide variety of skill levels available on the secondary trails, lots of hills to climb if that's what you want. Just ride around and explore. I'll try to give you more info but it's probably best just to shoot me your email and handle the discussion from there.

KDX220 Rider

Jul 28, 2000
glad2ride said:
Aren't spark arrestors generally stamped USFS Approved?
I believe glad2ride is correct that they are stamped. I know all the ones I've seen are stamped directly in the metal. It's really the only way the Forrestry Service would be able to verify due to all the bike and silencers available. I've got an FMF ISDE Turbine Core and it's stamped U.S.F.S approved.

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
I am having a problem getting the pictures from the comp to the message but I am working on it, I am very computer illitterate. :bang: I am going to look for a spark arrester on e-bay or other sources, I have time an Christmas coming maybe I will aquire one w/o the wife knowing. I was noticing that the FMF is the only one with the bend but I assume that if they say it will mount correctly it will just be at a different angle which should work.

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
I saw what looks like my silencer on this site but it says that it was made by Acerbis. I thought they just made plastic or did they make silencers at one point? Here is the web address.

the site is nwcg.gov[/url] /pms /pubs/ sagfiles/ 61-121.pdf

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Nah, they made them. I thought it was super odd when I first heard it too.

If the spark arrestor in question is a smooth oval, then it is not an FMF, but perhaps an Answer brand spark arrestor. The first version has a surface of smooth aluminum and a bend. The second version does not have a bend. Look on the bottom near the end cap for the stampings (yes, you will have to scrape away the mud and oily goo). :-)

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Sorry to chime in late, but if you want to know if it is a spark arrestor, just stick a wire in the end, if it passes straight through (don't count getting caught and stuck), then it is a silencer. If it hits the turbine spark arresting portion, then it will not pass through (wire goes from the exit to the entrance).

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
I just broke down and got a TC2. I didn't see the USFS stamp and I figured that is the 1st thing they will look for if I am stopped. Better than getting a large ticket.

Top Bottom