Unlikelyest Hero- Not really if you know him

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Rich posted this in the Mods forum and modesty kept him from sharing it out here. As we always say lurking inside Rich is another whole group of people you really need to know.
My Barney Fife Moment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was loading up my bicycle to go riding before going into work today and I heard the not so uncommon sound of a Chicago police car whipping around the corner going backwards down the street. I figured they were just chasing some random crackhead like usual. Then a second and third car whipped through the neighborhood , then a couple of Evanston cops go whipping through, and I figure something more interesting is going on.

At some point there were about 8 cars in the neighborhood, and I could hear shouting around the corner from my building. It was getting too interesting to leave so I leaned up against my truck and waited to see what happened. I heard people shouting and running and a guy yelling “I’VE GOT A GUN” . The shouting is getting closer so I know they are coming my way. Suddenly around the corner comes some black guy hauling ass and I can hear the cops shouting behind him to stop. I’m pretty tired of **** bags coming into my neighborhood and ****ing things up so I stepped out into the middle of the sidewalk to stop him. He screams “I HAVE A GUN” , but he has nothing in his hands and I figure if you really have a gun you’re going to be waving it around NOT chatting about it. Once he committed to a line on the sidewalk I looked him square in the eyes dropped a shoulder and drilled him for all I was worth. I had a good 50 -60 pounds on this loser and pancaked the **** bag so hard he hit the ground like a third string bears running back. As I was dropping this scum bag one of Evanston’s finest rounded the corner, and jumped on him while he was on the ground. A few more cops followed and helped cuff Scumo’s hands and legs while he kept shouting SHOOT ME. . The first cop (they called him Inspector Gadget) gave me a big HIGH FIVE and thanked me, while commenting on the excellent stick I layed on Mr. Scum Bag. He asked me if I wanted to be included in the report so I would get credit for this but I told him I was just glad to help, plus it was pretty fun ****ing up a scum bag and not getting in trouble for it. so I figured that's all I really needed.

A half a dozen more cop cars hit the scene right after that, which seemed sort of weird, but I got in my truck hoping they would move a few cars out of my way so I could leave.

The other cops were congratulating Gadget for running down the scumbag at which point he said, he would have got away if it wasn’t for that guy >>> pointing in my direction. A couple of Chicago cops waved me over and made a big deal about me getting credit for stopping this guy and took my name and stuff.

Turns out this guy tried to rob the bank down the street. I got a lot a hand shakes and thanks from the cops in attendance. I have a lot of respect for what cops do , so it was pretty cool to get a chance to help in some small way. Plus I have to admit pancaking a scum bag first thing in the morning is a great way to boost your spirits.

Barney Fife would have been proud.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Way to go Rich. :worship:

9r

Wintermute

Jul 7, 2005
Rich, way to go man! Props to you for not standing idly by like so many people do these days.

Did I read that right that the guy was asking to get shot? :coocoo:

Wintermute
-------------------------------------
formerly known as ORW or the guy with the big camera.

In the sixties life was more normal so people took drugs to make things weird.
Now life is weird so people take prozac to make things seem normal.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Wintermute said:
Rich, way to go man! Props to you for not standing idly by like so many people do these days.

Did I read that right that the guy was asking to get shot? :coocoo:

A CPD friend said unarmed criminals sometimes try to get shot so they can sue the city. :coocoo:

I found out a little more about this genius criminal.

Police: Chauffeured Bank Robber's Plan Goes Awry
Dye Pack Blows Up In Limousine

POSTED: 5:05 pm CDT July 28, 2005
UPDATED: 6:17 pm CDT July 28, 2005

CHICAGO -- Chicago police said an alleged bank robber was riding in style Thursday morning, until his plans went awry and he was arrested.

Investigators said a man arrived at the Greater Bank of Chicago on North California Avenue in a rented limousine.

The vehicle was driven by a chauffeur who was unaware of his passenger's plan.

The man went into the bank and robbed it, returning to his ride.

NBC5 reported that the limo wasn't even out of the bank's parking lot when a dye pack in the stolen money exploded.

Police said the suspect ran from the vehicle, but was later identified by bystanders and taken into custody.
Copyright 2005 by NBC5.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I think we can safely assume this tool didn't rob the bank so he could keep his Mensa Society dues up to date. ;)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Good job Rich! Glad he was caught and you were unharmed. I was waiting to read that you threw your bicycle at him but what you did was way cooler! :)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Rich that's awesome! Great job helping get scum off of the streets!!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
logo.jpg

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
If we have any flag football at DW 05, I say RR is first pick for linebacker!!!

Outstanding Rich!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Very cool! :cool:

I feel safer knowing there are guys like Rich on the street.

:nod:

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
10 of those 60 lbs Rich had over that guy came from the mexican cheeken Rich has been eating down the street from Eric's shop. :) Way to go Rich! I am not the least surprised that you stepped up to the moment where cowards are seperated from REAL MEN.Man that had to feel so good!!!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Way to Go Rich!!!

Eddie, remind me not to run past Rich after I steal beers from Tony's cooler at DW this year. :)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
James said:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

way to go rich ....i have a similar story also

long story short a guy held up a 7-11 and a friend of mine and i pulled in when it was going down, we had partaken in a few too many barleypops coupled with being 19 , decided to chase him through a few backyards, picked up some perfect branches from the convenient tree trimming in one backyard and cornered the guy with the help of a local shepard. dogs were barking the commotion caused porch lights to come on throughout the neighborhood cops were called and came to get him and we were heros yet got a scolding from said policeman for being stupid kids that could end up shot

what the heck everybody needs a story to tell the grandkids :)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Great Job Rich!

Top Bottom