yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
finally moved out of the subdivision,(426 was a little rough on the yard) bought my 40 acres in the country made some great trails now i dont have to ask anyone for permission to ride! buds come over ride for a couple hours then this guy shows up says your making too much noise! this is 4pm on saturday! your just gonna have to do something my wife is compaining! now i ask you guys what would you do? his property isnt bordering on mine but it is about 100 feet from it on 1 side over a creek and up a hill. just looking for your opinions..

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Get him into the sport by offering to let him ride yours. It's always best to get them on your side.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Do what you can to make your bikes as quiet as possible, there are a few companies that make inserts for the silencer which will cut back on noise, with minimal power loss, but the nicce thing is, they can be removed when noise isn't an issue to get the power back.  I know FMF sells them for around $50 which is well worth it if it keeps the neighbors from complaining.

Just have 1 or 2 friends over to ride with since 2 bikes are quieter than a group racing through the woods, and maybe once a month you can have a bigger group of friends over, and other times you can ride other places.

The important thing is to try and stay on the neighbors good side.  Even though you did nothing wrong, go over to their house and apologize for disturbing them, and explain that it will not be an every week event, and what you plan on doing to keep the noise down. 

I know it is your property, and you bought it so you had a place to ride, but i can also see the neighbors point of view.  I have neighbors who party in their yard almost every weekend in the summer, It sounds like the music is right in the room with you  (it wouldn't be as bad if I could understand the music, but it is all spanish music),  and if we close the windows, all we hear is the constant booming of the bass all day long.   It does get anoying after a while, and I'm sure they feel the same way about the noise from the motorcycles.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Kill him.......quietly!!!!

LOL

Not realy a sound solution to the problem, but always and option :think:

I would work on making things a bit quiter and like it was said above just a few at a time. The other thing is you could just tell them that it will be within only certain hours of the day. Maybe they could plan to be out of the house or something. You are well within your rights as long as its during the day.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Make nice with the neighbors if you can. Make your bike quiet as you can, because I do believe we will lose more riding areas if we don't. But, if you are riding within reasonable hours (8:30 am - 7:30 pm?) ride all you want... it's your place. I don't believe anyone has the right to tell you what to do with or on your property. Just be mindful of our/the motorcyclist image and try not to be to offensive in the noise department.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Some towns, such as the town i live in, do have noise ordinances during the daytime also.  They say that your neighbors have the right to a peaceful neighborhood......forget about your rights, they consider you the bad guy here.  make sure you know what the laws are before you push things, because even if there is an ordinance that they usually don't enforce(such as in my town), that doesn't mean they won't if your neighbors push the issue.  I know it is your property, and i don't necasarily agree with the laws, but make sure you know what the laws in your town are before you push things, because if the neighbors yell loud  enough, they may win.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Your rights extend only to the point that you infringe on the rights of others.
If you can contain the sound to just your property, you are good to go... that won't happen.

Get with your neighbor and try to work out a compromise.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Try not to ride at the edge of your property and hopefully there is some of those NC pines at the edges to help buffer the sound.

As already suggested do everything you can to quiet your bike.

Don't ride before 7am nor after about 7pm.

Keep the group small and enforce a quiet exhaust policy.

I'm in a similar situation except none of my neighbors have complained... yet. I want to keep it that way. Right now my bike is pretty loud and I am going to have Thunder Alley revamp the core to make it quieter for me. My Montesa is pretty quiet so I have no worries there and that is what I ride the most at my place anyway. Keeping the peace makes everybody happy while still allowing the fun :thumb:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Patman
I'm in a similar situation except none of my neighbors have complained... yet.

Aren't your neighbors the Dixie Chicks??? Maybe they can't hear you over the sound of their rehersals.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan

Get with your neighbor and try to work out a compromise.

That would be my first move.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
unreasonable neighbors![/B]

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. A 426 is one loud bike! I bet your buddys have similar scoots.

Get a WR pipe (probably can get a take-off cheap) and use it everywhere except the track.

Endless Mike

Oct 30, 2003
I made a baffle for one out of PVC piping and a spare endcap, worked good for noise but lost power, but you have to do what you gotta do. Quiet the bike down

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
You could always kill em, chop him up into little peices and throw him into Galveston Bay. In Texas that's leagal. :scream:

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
all good suggestions, and id probably get a different bike if that was an option at this time, really the guy i think has an earfull from his wife, i tried to suggest that id only ride at hours that were acceptable to him but he didnt want to discuss that, generally i will only ride between about 11am and 5pm so as not to bother people, during our conversation he told me about a model airplane club that leased land nearby and that he went to the county and had them stopped cause they didnt like that noise, basically i guess ill just try to ride as far from his house as i can, i really didnt think my bike made as much noise as his muzzle loader shooting all day but i could be wrong? who knows?

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I don't understand why you would want to take care of him when it was his wife that was complaining. Maybe there's a solution that would do both or you a favor.
If that's not an option I would rather ride a quiet bike, than not be able to ride at all.
You might even be able to quiet your bike down with a couple of sections of intertube cut to length and then but it around your silencer and use a hose clamp to keep it on. It won't last long but it's a good temp fix.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Muzzle loader...............if that's the case I would drive up the next time that's happening and say "considering your complaint on my riding I would appreciate it if you wouldn't shoot your gun it's disturbing me". Seriously though I would propose a compromise as I have been in a similar situation, I told my neighbor that I would only ride on Wednesday evening and after Noon on Sunday, problem solved. If they don't go for that then use the previous approach!

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Tell him to pound salt... The real reason he's complaining and combative is that you purchased property that's he's probably hunted on for years and now your scarrin' all the critters with them there motorcycles. How's he gonna get to shoot 'em at the crack of dawn if their in the next county. Buy some ear plugs next time he waddles over the complain give him a pack or two and show him to the ditch.. I'da said curb.. but it's a rural setting.

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
Try adding some sort of turn down on your exhaust, maybe a thick piece of rubber tubing that you can clamp on when your at home to keep things quiet. Make your friends do the same as well. And try to stay away from his neck of the woods. And if that don't work, just start complaining everytime he's making noise.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I think Rusty may be onto something here. If he has been hunting the area, I suspect he finds your bike an inconvenience.

I would sit down and talk to him about it. I suspect you can find middle ground, due to the face that he has something to loose as well.

Carp824

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2002
I would call the County or City in which you live and ask who is responsible for enforcing the noise ordinance and talk with them on the guidelines (if any) concerning noise from motorcycles. If there is no noise ordinance or you don't have any homeowners restrictions on your property I would just keep riding.

Sure you want to be good neighbors. However, if there is no local laws governing the noise you can ride when you want. It was your money that bought the property.

I work for a local government and there is not a thing I could do to penalize you unless there is an ordinance on the books to enforce. If there is an ordinance then you may have to tone it down.

Top Bottom