WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
Since my knee has stayed together for a year I was going to buy a mellow four stroke for some light trail riding, but since my wife wrecked her brand new arctic cat and suffered some very serious injuries my plans had changed. Now, by co-signing for a 2006 YZ 450 I guess I own it now, for the 2006 price!
The thing has sat in my shed for the last 2 yrs and has (maybe) 50 hours on it. Can this thing be turned into a trail bike or should I accept my losses and sell it ? I really do not want to lose the 4 grand by selling it but it would not be a good trail bike in its current form! So any suggestions on converting it to a semi-good trail bike would be apprieciated. It has moose handguards, spark arrester and a different rear sprocket so I'm looking for gearing / jetting changes to calm it down a bit. Thanks for any help!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well, a couple things you can do to make it more woods friendly would be a large (11oz or bigger) fly wheel weight and a Rekluse Clutch.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The rekluse is a god send for a 450 in the woods. My buddy has a kx with one and you just use 2nd or 3rd gear all the time. No stalling, no tired hands and less arm pump. Not sure how much a flyheel weight would help a torque monster 450?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
My CRF had one on it when I got it.. You can definitely tell the difference..

It's still very snappy with it, but just a touch more mellow.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
I have an 09 YZ450 - pretty much stock - no flywheel weights, no suspension changes, very close to stock jetting. As mentioned the Rekluse makes it a bunch easier to ride (It had a "flame out" issue in the tighter single track before the Rekluse - no longer an issue W/ Rekluse)
I like the YZ in the woods - sure it's more of a handful than some bikes, especially the more technical or Knarly the single track but still it'll do just fine as long as you're not constantly grabbing a hand full of throttle until the trail opens up a little, especially versis taking a big hit on your investment. Keep it and have fun

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
It will be good to see you in the woods again Dennis. :cool:

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I had a similar situation with my KLX450R that only had 6 hours on it. I took a hit of $2500 and bought a nearly new KDX200 and the owner of that took a hit of $2800 so I didn't really loose anything and got a bike I can easily trail ride with a weak knee. Maybe you could do the same kind of thing. Just a thought.

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
Thanks for the advice!I was hoping to do something a little cheaper considering my financial issue with Carrie's injuries, but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!
Has anyone tried the throttle cams that change the ratio of the pull? The flat tracker's at Lucky Thumb swear by those for calming down motocrossers for flat track.
Fred I will be calling you, been meaning to for a long time! Maybe we can get together and go for a ride after my busy spring season. You will have to wait for me but we can still have fun just like the old days!

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
After 15 years off from riding and racing in 2006 I started back with a new Bob Hanna Yellow 2006 YZ450. I made it through the season and dumped as fast as I could. If I were you I would sell it NOW and then buy a 2 stroke woods machine. You may lose a bit on the sale but, you will not make this machine a good woods bike. It will beat you silly, like it did me.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Big SUPRISE! I disagree Fred! :)

It would cost WALKMAN way too much $$ in loss on the YZF and new bike purchase to be worth it.

Do the motor stuff....modify the suspension too. Get ahold of someone who knows what they're doing with woods suspension set up. Get a steering damper at some point. Nickel and diming to improve your YZF is the way too go. I understand the budget concerns, I'm in the same boat.....you have to remember that if we had 091L's money, we could burn our own $$ for heat. :nod:

I can't get Fred nor DW to adopt me? :think: I clean airfilters, change oil, polish pipes and rims...crap, I even gut wild game! They still won't bite on adopting a 42 yr old. It must be the edipus concerns?? :laugh:

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
My point was that he could get near 3k I think from some geeked out moto head for 06 YZF and then use the 3k to buy a used ktm or yz 2 stroke woods machine and be happy :nod:

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
FYI If you chose to keep the 06 YZF. I have a set of stock handle bars for real cheap if you need them.

Happy kicking :bang: My 06 did not start well

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
This thing fires right up! Started it many times over the last two years. I've owned many bikes in my life from all brands and have never been truly happy with any of them ( maybe a 1980 IT175 I replaced with an 82 kdx that fell apart !).I think I'll keep this, save the big loss and tinker with it! I should'nt need the bars, my days of hardcore trailriding / racing are over! Abuse and 4 yrs in the military have wrecked my body! Once again thanks for any advice!

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I also spent many happy hours on a 1980 IT175 and I remember thinking how dodgey the KDX175 looked with its plastic bashplate.

Things you could try to make your bike more trail friendly:
Lowering the compression with a couple of base gaskets
Adding a flywheel weight
Closing up the airbox a little and rejetting to suit.
Changing the pipe

I must admit I don't know your bike very well at all, but just thought I'd throw in some suggestions that I'd try.

Top Bottom