3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Have any of you ridden in the UP. Im looking at new places to
ride that are a little closer to where I live (chicago area).I've
rode mostly in the mason /lake co. Area. How about the Forest islands Loop Is it any good ? Any input would be great .
Curtis

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Magoo would be the man to talk to about riding in the UP.

3KDXXR2 said:
Have any of you ridden in the UP. Im looking at new places to
ride that are a little closer to where I live (chicago area).I've
rode mostly in the mason /lake co. Area. How about the Ceder river Loop Is it any good ? Any input would be great .
Curtis

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
fatherandson said:
Magoo would be the man to talk to about riding in the UP.
Hah! There's no good riding in the UP. Heck, even Dirt Rider Magazine says our Enduro is too hard since Lafferty dropped "55 points" -- really he only dropped 41 points! (pg. 78 of March DR)
I think there's some nice two-tracks in Wisconsin...! :p

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Do Da Soo, Eh?

Contact Michigan DNR and get the trail maps, they are free. They are on-line but I recommend you get the hard copies mailed to you. Ask for the entire state. The UP is full of nice trails. I lived in Sault Ste. Marie a year ago before heading down soth to Muskegon, I'm here to tell yoy the riding is better than down here. just more of it. You'll need a DNR sticker for your bike, DNR should be able to tell you how to get it. They are available at most stores like Meiers and bike shops. Look into the Black Lakes area near Cheboygan. It's a graet family area and has nice camping there. It's in the lower UP but not by much. Good luck.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about Forest Islands as that looks like the closest to Chicago, Maybe 5 hrs, It takes me 6 Hrs to get to whisky creek And ride the big O. I think it took about 7 to get to Trailfest. You Guys have it made! Mike how long did it take to get to Trailfest? Magoo, have you ridden cedarcreek? If you are the UP guy what is the best single track close to Green bay. There used to be some good single trak in blakriver falls WI. but I here they closed it down. By the way I have been looking at the map book, but I was hoping some of you guys had some experience up there.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
CK with Jeb

Curtis
There is a guy on KTMtalk.com named Jeb, he's from Minnesota, but knows places in WI. Check with him there.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
3KDXXR2 said:
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about Forest Islands as that looks like the closest to Chicago, Maybe 5 hrs, It takes me 6 Hrs to get to whisky creek And ride the big O. I think it took about 7 to get to Trailfest. You Guys have it made! Mike how long did it take to get to Trailfest? Magoo, have you ridden cedarcreek? If you are the UP guy what is the best single track close to Green bay. There used to be some good single trak in blakriver falls WI. but I here they closed it down. By the way I have been looking at the map book, but I was hoping some of you guys had some experience up there.
I am very familiar with Forest Islands trail in Cedar River. Our club has the trail maintenance contract for that trail. It is a pretty wide open trail with lots of two track and even some gravel roads mileage. A fair amount of quads ride the trail. There is no good single track near Green Bay that I am familiar with. There is/was an enduro near Antigo (Pearson) that was lots of fun -- I don't know what they are doing this year... check D16 events calendar.
We have a Family Enduro and a National Enduro July 17 and 18. Check our website for more information. Also Check out D14's Family Enduro Series here -- I don't think these rides would be too far away from Chicago, and would be excellent rides!

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks again for the Input. Curtis

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Magoo said:
... Heck, even Dirt Rider Magazine says our Enduro is too hard since Lafferty dropped "55 points" -- really he only dropped 41 points! (pg. 78 of March DR)
Magoo - You took that the wrong way; it was a direct compliment!

jcorbat

Aug 9, 2004
UP Riding Forest Islands

Curtis,

I am just south of Milwaukee and get awefully tired of driving through Chicago to get to the Michigan trails. I would also like to check out Forest Islands. Have you riden there yet? Send an email and let me know if you are interested.

Regards,
Jeff

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Jeff, I have not been riding up in the up yet, I have only had time to get over to lincoln hills in the lower half of the state.I probably wont get to the up until next year. By the way one of the guys in this forum did a great write up of his trip up there. Curtis . Here is the thread. http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=100521

Top Bottom