update bought a 1990 have a couple of ?'s

mcgyver6857

Jul 20, 2001
I ended up buying a 1990 thats in awesome condition. 1991 was a pos. I changed the crank case oil used 10w30 thats what the manual said. I used mobil oil will that be ok or should I use the kawi stuff? Also I used a premix of 32:1 8oz/2gal, I hope thats right. I used yama lube seeing I had a gallon left over from a four wheeler. I was wondering since I'm going to do mainly trail riding if it would ok to run a generic oil, like stuff I can get a local store, ie walmart crap. If I can't run that what do some of you run? I need it to be resonably priced because I plan on doing a lot of riding.

Another note after changing the fluids and giving the bike a decent going through I took it out for the madien voyage. Everything was going great for about the first 4 hours. About this time the bike decided it was going to be a B ! T C H. Stuck throtle. Scared the poop outta me. Locked up the front brakes and took her down. Got up looked it over, looked fine, the cable wasn't pinched, throtle preceed to snap back just like before, everything was normal. Started it back up everything was good, rode it home and around my feild, no problems. So could this be a fluke thing? What should i do, replace the cable just to be safe?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
A great cheap pre-mix oil is Mobil MX2T, I run it at 32:1 in my '93 with absolutely no problems (it's available at autozone).

As to the throttle thing, as many other members might also say this is kind of an unexplained problem, I've had it happen twice on my bike and there seems to be no cause for it. Invest in a cable luber and make the cable nice and slick, if it's in questionable shape go ahead and replace it as the replacement cables aren't all that expensive. Good luck with the new bike :)

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
WARNING!!! it is not a stuck throttle but an air leak, most likeley on the flywheel side of engine, that is where mine was, the bike will run fine sometimes all day and then without warning it will rev out of control and with more power than normal cause it is getting way to much oxy. I had a really bad accident on mine cause of that same prob, I kept checking the throttle and carb slide, and they where always fine. please get your cylinder preasure checked.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by mcgyver6857
I changed the crank case oil used 10w30 thats what the manual said. I used mobil oil will that be ok or should I use the kawi stuff?
Any decent oil will be fine as long as it doesn't contain friction modifiers like molybdenum. These will cause the clutch to slip. I run ATF type F in my tanny, it works great. Just dump the whole quart in, it will help quiet down the tranny a little.

Also I used a premix of 32:1 8oz/2gal, I hope thats right. I used yama lube seeing I had a gallon left over from a four wheeler. I was wondering since I'm going to do mainly trail riding if it would ok to run a generic oil, like stuff I can get a local store, ie walmart crap. If I can't run that what do some of you run? I need it to be resonably priced because I plan on doing a lot of riding.
Yamalube 2R is a great oil, that is what I run, at 32:1. Any two-stoke oil (or even four-stroke engine oil in a pinch) will protect the engine, but many two-stroke oils are bad about leaving a lot of deposits in the engine and on the power valves. I have read by many members here that Mobil MX2T is a good oil as well, and being able to get it at Autozone is a definite convenience, but I have not personally tried it. I would stay away from weedeater and boat oil. They just aren't formulated for our needs, even though they might very well perform adequately. Look at it this way: oil is much cheaper than engine or power valve parts.

Last edited:

mcgyver6857

Jul 20, 2001
cylinder pressure, has anyone else had this problem? Duneman is this something i can check myself or is it going to cost me big bucks at a kawi dealer? if its cheap i think ill have it done, but if its expensive ill go ahead and change the throttle cable and keep it in the back of my mind.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by mcgyver6857
cylinder pressure, has anyone else had this problem? Duneman is this something i can check myself or is it going to cost me big bucks at a kawi dealer? if its cheap i think ill have it done, but if its expensive ill go ahead and change the throttle cable and keep it in the back of my mind.
A leak-down test shouldn't run you more than an hour or so of labor.

mcgyver6857

Jul 20, 2001
thanks for everyones help! you guys here are awesome. i found the problem on the throttle, the boot where it goes into the carb had gotten broken, it was all gumed up in there w/ mud so im going to replace that the cable and give the carb a good cleaning

Top Bottom