will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
some of you may remember that about a month ago i published my "letter to yamaha" where i detailed the problems i encountered when trying unsuccessfully to have the cracked gas tank on my 2000 yz426 warrantied. the letter was part of a package that i sent out of desperation to terry beal, yamaha's top marketing exec in the u.s. the rest of the package included the tank itself, photographs of my very not-wrecked motorcycle, and documentation regarding other owner's difficulty over the same issue.

well, to make a long story less long, i just picked up my new tank! about 3 weeks after i mailed the package, yamaha customer service called and informed me that they had notified the service manager at my dealership that he would need to order me a new tank as soon as i came in and authorized it. needless to say, i wasted about 0.2 seconds doing that, and the tank is here a week later, free of charge. none too soon either, as the spare tank from my '99 400 that i've been using cracked right after i sent the package off!

i just want to say that i really appreciate yamaha taking positive action on this. it was a hell of a fight, and i spent quite a bit of time getting it resolved, but ultimately, they did the right thing, and i respect that. for all you others out there, let this be an example of consumer advocacy. if you have the same kind of problems, don't hesitate to take a position. if you have patience and handle it politely but firmly, you do have a chance!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Good response. I have found that if you go direct to the company you can get a response that is normally positive. I have complained about parts prices that seemed rediclous and had them reduced and has a KX80 tank replaced that split. I think dealers sometime dont actually do anything.

Top Bottom