doug howell

Aug 26, 2007
I would like to start by saying thank you to all!!! The advice and insight from the members of this .net has been more helpful than I could have ever imagined!!

Now, my question...

I am thinking about selling my bullettproff 1999 xr200r and picking up an old (but clean) xr250r. The bike in question is a 1985 xr250r and is one of my favorite bikes of all time. My current xr is a bit small but handles like a dream on the trails. I only trail ride and if i do mx it is only light hearted cruising and a few mild jumps. I usually pull away from most of my fellow trail riders on my xr200 and end up stopping and waiting for them to catch up before taking off again. My issue is this: My current bike seems to be an extension of myself on the trails however, I am drawn to the classic xr250's looks. I am pretty sure that this bike will be equally bullettproff and even if it is not...I enjoy the maintence aspect ALMOST as much as the riding! Someone talk me out of this (or into it)before I do something I silly! Thanks!!

Jan 3, 2007
doug howell, the XR200 with a Powroll.com engine will make the coolest woods bike ever matched with Race Tech suspension. So thats one option. The other would be to get the XR250. All i know about that bike is it had an awsome responsive motor thanks to the dual carb set-up. The chooice is up to you.

doug howell

Aug 26, 2007
Thanks 2 strokes...I had not really visited the idea of a rebuild on the 200. Still, I am drawn to the 1985 xr250 in the way that a car guy is drawn to a classic Mustang or Chevelle. Also, I think that the 1985 xr250 is a single carb set up. I think I prefer this for two reasons.
1. I plan to do any and all work on the bike myself and a single carb set up seems a better option.
2. Some of the reviews I have seen on the duel carb bike questioned reliabilty.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Jan 3, 2007
It seems i am mistaken on the carb situation. The 1985 has a single Keihin 30mm. Its a good and easy to work on carb. If you wanted to freshen up the engine Powroll.com has a big bore kit to add some more power. http://powroll.com/P_HONDA_XRXL250_84-.htm

The suspension is also in need of some servicing Race Tech dose some awsome work to make that woods ridding feel less abrasive on the body. Also, IMS makes a product that will also make that BRP seem lighter- http://www.imsproducts.com/ click on fule tanks and then EvoMXfoam.

Jan 3, 2007
uh_oh, I think he is going to buy it because of how it looks and feels. Just like me with all my ITs (Some are not listed) and the way they look. I love coming up to a modern day bike and blowing its doors off. Its the same love i feel with the 2003 WR450F or a 93 WR500.

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
uh_oh, I think he is going to buy it because of how it looks and feels. Just like me with all my ITs (Some are not listed) and the way they look. I love coming up to a modern day bike and blowing its doors off. Its the same love i feel with the 2003 WR450F or a 93 WR500.
off topic and please forgive me.
I would love to see pics of your its, as they are with out a doubt my favorite vintage bike. Their pretty impresive, as my dads 78 400 gives my 2001 WR250F hell in the straights.

doug howell

Aug 26, 2007
You are wise beyond your years 2strokes..I am going to get the '85 xr250r because of the way it looks and feels. I sold the 200 last night and will pick up the 250 tomorrow night. I will update every1 on the 250 soon.

Funny you should mention the IT as it was one of the bikes I looked at as a replacement for the 200. I had an it175 back in the day and like you said "I love coming up to a modern day bike and blowing its doors off. " That ol' IT was crazy fun!

doug howell

Aug 26, 2007
Douglas777 said:
Never hurt anyone to own TWO bikes! ;)
True.

My other bike is a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800. I would love to add an old IT or even a new YZ but my wife would cut my :debil: :debil: :debil: s off. And that would delay riding for at least 3 weeks!

Jan 3, 2007
uh_oh, i will do some more pics this weekend and by monday i will post them.

doug howell, thanks for the coment. I do love the Honda XR250 but i need to do my part in keeping 2 strokes alive. After the 465 and 175 are going well i might do a tight woods XR250 with a dual sport kit.

doug howell

Aug 26, 2007
2 strokes,

to be honest I was raised on two strokes and prefer the awsome powerband! The only reason I have moved to fours is the noise. You see... I have 200 acres of woods behind my house so I dont need to go far for good riding. The problem was the neighbors. They did not like the noise of a 2 stroke and because I do most of my riding right here in my back 40 I opted to go with a four and keep the peace. If not for that I would be on a 2 stroke for sure.

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
doug howell said:
2 strokes,

to be honest I was raised on two strokes and prefer the awsome powerband! The only reason I have moved to fours is the noise. You see... I have 200 acres of woods behind my house so I dont need to go far for good riding. The problem was the neighbors. They did not like the noise of a 2 stroke and because I do most of my riding right here in my back 40 I opted to go with a four and keep the peace. If not for that I would be on a 2 stroke for sure.
a yz250f is louder than a yz250. Not all 4 strokes are quiet but xr's are.

doug howell

Aug 26, 2007
uh_oh
I did not know that the new YZF was so loud,didnt know that the yz was so quiet either. Wish I was a member of this forum a year ago!

Anyway,I picked up the xr250 last night. Very happy with her! I spent the whole day on cosmetics and it looks pretty nice already. As far as the mechanics go:

The Power difference is dramatic. Doesn't handle as well but give me a few days and I will be fine. The only issue with this vintage bike is the front brake. I hope to replace the master cylinder and rebuild the caliper by weeks end. I will try to post some pics asap.

doug howell

Aug 26, 2007
Just posted pics of the xr250r. Posted pic of the old xr200 and my sons crf80 as well as my '07 Polaris sportsman 800 and my Toyota FJ cruiser. They are in my gallery.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom