Oct 23, 2005
Hey, I ride a XR250R and it is in great shape, but everything is stock. Because the bike is a fairly old bike (14 years), I was wondering what upgrade kits are out there for this bike. I am not too familiar with specific bike parts, but would new pistons, rings, and having the carb cleaned increase the acceleration of the bike. Or are the pipes out there that would signifigently give me a power increase? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Agian, I am looking for upgrades that would increase the bikes acceleration rather than topspeed.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Best bange for the buck on a thumper is increased displacement. I'll bet there are some kits out there for you 'ol XR.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's a 14 year old bike so there is a very good chance that it needs a top end anyway so the bigbore is the logical place to start.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
My old 1986 XR250 needed a top end rebuild so I had Forward Motion go oversize (2mm, I think) on the bore/piston to 263cc. I received a large improvement in the mid range pull even with that small increase.

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
PB8000, 280 kits seemed to be very popular here in Oz. These produced more power pretty much across the rev range and with cam work could be used to extract quite a bit more HP. Beware of super big kits and wild cam grinds as these made the bikes unreliable and pigs to start. A friend used a 280 with std CR250 forks and after market rear spring and it was a quick little bike in tighter bush. Good luck with the mods.

Top Bottom