Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
How often does the average mxer upgrade? From what I read on here it's every year or two.
I guess my question concerns the reasoning behind buying a new bike as much as anything else. I'm on my 2nd in the last couple of years or so neither of which I bought new. My 1st one was a 98 125sx that I thought was so fast. It had a hard hit in the upper mid but handled like a tank. I bought my 01 125sx from a dealer sponsored pro rider, it only had a couple of races on it and was still like new when I got it and it had all the goodies on it including a suspension revalve and sprung to my weight. The difference was night & day between this one and the 98. At 1st I didn't think it was as fast because of the smoother power.

I brought up all the above because as much as I would like to buy a brand spankin' new bike I have had no problem to speak of with mine and it is fun to ride. I am no where near riding to the bikes potential so what would I gain by shelling out doe on a new one?

Truespode mode off.lol

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
If you've ever checked his web site, Eric Gore says it best.

"...95% rider, 5% bike..."

If you haven't tapped the potential of the one you've got, stay with it 'til you do. If your skills have improved dramatically enough by then, you'll also be able to interpret the subtleties in power and handling of the next bike better. I've never had a bike I thought handled better than my old '89 KX 125, and I could always make up in the corners where they left me in the straights.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
WFO; there has never BEEN a bike that handles as well as an 89 KX125!!

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
For an amateur to upgrade to the newest bike each year is a luxury that some can afford and some can not. If I could afford it, I would do it. I wouldn't expect that it would make me a better or faster rider though.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Every 2 or 3 years for me.It depends on the changes that were made to the suspension, motor etc.I have a 00 kx 250 ,the changes they made from 99-02 were not that impressive,basically the same bike from 99-02.The 03 seems like a legit upgrade from my 00.This will be my year for a new one,It all depends on the changes for me.Now if I had a 02 I would still get the 03,being kawa seems to have a better model.New frame,new cylinder plating,bottom shock mount different setup,different shifting internals,swing arm,forks bottom cone or bladder I forget,different porting specs,etc this warrants me to get the 03.I like the kx's good stable bike, descent motor and suspension and yes they are reliable.They have a few quirks like any bike,I cannot corner a kx like other models,hopefully the frame and rake changes will make me a superstar,it is about time they upgraded the plating ,shock mount and frame.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
the new bike buying is a luxury, but it kinda makes sense. If I could buy a new bike every year, I would. Think about it...how much would it cost to refresh your bike to new bike feel? Plastic, top and bottom end, bearings, chain & sprockets, tires, graphics, etc... I bet that you'd spend as much on that stuff as you'd spend to sell your bike and get a new one. The difference is that you could do that stuff over time and not drop all the cash at once.
The difference for me is the revalve, clutch basket, pipe & silencer, ect...that stuff doesn't always carry over to your new bike.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
It will be the last season for the 90 RM250 I've been riding. I've come to the point where the bike is really slowing me down. I take my buddy's 96 KX250 around the track and I'm posting way faster lap times with it. I gotta say one thing about it though. Nothing outhandles this bike. It turns like a dream. Even people that have ridden it have said the same thing "man this things turns better than my CR" :) I'm gonna miss her seeing that she was my first bike. Hpoefully a 96 CR250 is in my near future. I hear they are one of the best CR's ever made...

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Hucker, I agree, I had my 92 RM for 9 years before I bought the new one. It is definately the rider and not the bike, for the most part. I rode just as fast on the 92 as my friends did on their newer bikes. The suspension was the only thing slowing me down. That's really the only reason I wanted the newer bike. It was that or fork out just under a grand for suspension upgrades.

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
Hucker -
I went from a 89 rm 250 to a 98 cr250. what a huge difference in every aspect. I never regretted doing the change and never missed it one bit.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My '96 YZ125 is an excellent bike. I had the suspension done earlier this year and it is really nice. Last week I rode a 2001 RM125....... Man that bike had MUCH more low end and midrange than my bike! I was really impressed with it. When he got off my bike, the first thing he said was, "Wow, your bike has great suspension". So, for now I think I'm OK. One thing though, for my next bike, I will give Suzukis' another look.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Elk, the suspension is whats killing me. And I can't justify spending all kinds of $$$ on a revalve, cause I know alot of parts are going to be replaced. I love the ergonomics of the bike though. It actually feels like your riding it, and not riding "on top" of it like the newer bikes. Its served its purpose very well, I'd love to keep her, but the $$$ isn't there for 2 toys :) I'll finish out the season and hopefully it makes a great Xmas present for someone.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You know Hucker, I thought the same thing about being "on top" of the bike butlet me tell ya, what a difference when you're in the air! A whole lot easier to jump verses jumping with my older bike. It's alot lighter and mobile too. I'll stick with the stock suspension, it works just fine. I dropped my forks to about 5mm in the triple clamp and it works great.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I dunno about every year but I think I waited to long to retire my '80 YZ465.Still a great bike but my '03 CRF450R actually made me faster.I GOT BRAKES NOW!!!!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jeff,
Unless you want to go 250+, or 4stroke you should stay on the weapon you have. How can there be a better 125? :)

I will say that red bikes sure do ride nice now.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with what I have. I would like someday to buy a brand new bike, one that I could pull out of the box and put together myself. As pretty as the new ones look I can't help but feel foolish if I were in a position to get rid of my current bike for the sake of having a new one.

The only "full size" bikes I've thrown a leg over in the past 30 years besides riding MX547 & TX246 bikes from the injury site back to the pits have been a clapped out KX250 and a KX125. Never any serious time on anything else. I wouldn't know what it felt like on a CR, YZ or the rest. The time I rode the KX250 I hadn't been riding all that long so I didn't feel very comfortable on it but I do recall the thing yanking my arms like they were going to come off. Since I do occasionaly ride in the over classes I thnk I might would like the new 200sx when it comes out but then again I might not. Most people suggest because of my age that I need to go to a 250 or 4stroke but I'm having a blast on the 125.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
My 96'CR250 in for sale. But i'm in B.C Canada and you are in ontario. :think:

Originally posted by Hucker
. Hpoefully a 96 CR250 is in my near future. I hear they are one of the best CR's ever made...
vwp

Last edited:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
I used to be one that upgraded every two years, its nice to stay on a new machine because you don't spend quite as much time or money working on them. I have held on to the last one I got new. I just haven't been able to find one that is an improvement on my 310 and i have ridden a lot of newer bikes. The 03 Kawis do look sweet though and it may be time ;)

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
I used to be one that upgraded every two years, its nice to stay on a new machine because you don't spend quite as much time or money working on them. I have held on to the last one I got new. I just haven't been able to find one that is an improvement on my 310 and i have ridden a lot of newer bikes. The 03 Kawis do look sweet though and it may be time ;)

Go for it senior the 03 is calling for you. :thumb:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by TRexRacing :
".....I think I waited to long to retire my '80 YZ465."
uh oh, do you think my '79 YZ400 might be a little 'behind the times' then???
:cool:

"I GOT BRAKES NOW!!!!! "
brakes???????? what are these 'brake' things that you speak of?
and who broke them?? :confused: :think:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I rode my '90 YZ250 for ten years. I never even came close to being able to out ride that beast. The only reason I bought a new one in '00 was because I just flat out wanted something newer. I still rode my '90 a lot until I had to sell it last year. The difference was astounding though. I'm still not a good enough rider to justify a regular upgrade, and never will be. That doesn't mean I wont be on a 426 or 450 next year though, seeings how this one is payed for and all............ :)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Jeff, at DW you should be able to test ride most any make, model of your choice. :) Then you could decide if an upgrade is warrented.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
If you are the type that doesn't go nuts modifing your new bike then it's not too expensive to sell it and get a new one every year or two. Especially if you take care of it. My 02 cr 125 is going to be with me until the 250F comes out :yeehaw: .....I'd consider that a legit upgrade :)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I am definitely not the type to modify or put much money in aftermarket, but for me there are extra costs involved with the new bike:

mandatory:
tires front and rear (no Bridgestone or 695/490s allowed!)
o-ring chain (I always send the old non-oring one to Jaybird...he likes 'em)
jetting
cross bar pad
fork or shock springs (if they are way off)

optional:
skid plate
radiator braces
pro taper bars
fork and shock springs (if they are off a bit)

this adds up to some serious dough. And it doesn't really work out for me to save money on maintenance when I sell the old bike, because I just don't feel right about selling something I know isn't up to snuff. And it's hard to explain to some people how I haven't ever put in a new top end because "it still runs good".

While we are at it, add on the cost of new plastic before the sale.

I used to switch every two years, but at this point I'm trying to stretch it out...unless I sell another toy..... :debil:

Last edited:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
what you get with a new bike is "new" everything. an older bike at some point and time is going to need stuff. some of it small and inexpensive and some of it big and hard on the wallet. each year there are improvements to bikes but the difference from a 02 to 03 probably isnt much unless the particular bike got a complete redo at the factory. an older bike is kind of like playing poker. you got to know when to fold and move on before you wear the thing totally out and the cost of the rebuild is more than what its worth. mx bikes at some point need to have the cases split for crank bearing/seals service. this is not cheap. suspensions are more than replacing seals. there are lots of bushings and internal parts that wear over time. bikes four or more years apart in age show lots of differences in performance. also keep in mind that parts for older bikes actually goes up and availability gets sketchy.

you can ride the 00cr 250 ex547 bike at dirtweek and im sure the new owner of the tx246 yz250 will let you ride too.

the yz was my first 250 after several 125s............mx547 talked me into the 250 because of the classes i wanted to race. i was very hesitant and thought i would loop out every other shift with all of that power. but guess what? it was way easier to go fast(which for me is realative) with less effort and i didnt feel outgunned at the gate. you are lighter and make a great 125 pilot but ill bet you will find the same thing as far as speed.

you are the reason i crashed at vc.............i just knew you were behind me :)

Top Bottom