duke

Oct 9, 1999
In analysing others riding on MX tracks, I have noticed two different approaches in how one places thier upper body. Some riders lean their upper body and head into the corner, while others seem to lean away as the bike falls into the corner.Are there any advantages or merits of one approach vs the other?

------------------

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Duke,

I'm NO EXPERT by any means, but if you read things in the magazines or tips from Gary Semics (www.gsmxs.com), they tell you to lean forward when you accelerate and lean back when you're braking.

When you watch McGrath, Windham and Pastrana, they all lean so far over the front end, especially when standing up and accelerating. They look like they're looking down at the front part of the front fender. I know Windham and Pastrana are tall, but MC isn't that tall.

I think that RC has a style all his own, gun and run. His corner speed is henomenal. He doesn't seem to hang over the front end as much, more neutral on the bike.

------------------

Aug 6, 2000
lean forwards for turns this will get more weight to your front wheel for better grip, then lean back for accerating because it will get better grip to your bake wheel.

also on long straight aways try to pull a small wheelie because if you can keep the front wheel from hitting anything on the ground you will go faster

------------------
16/m

1980 Yamahe Enduro DT175

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I wasnt refering to leaning front and back, but rather when leaning the bike into a turn, do you riders lean away from the bike or do lean with it into the turn? I have seen both positions and was wondering about the plus and minuses

------------------

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
duke, I believe you are talking about leaning side-to-side... correct? If so, then the type of corner has a lot to do with body positioning. If the corner is such that you can rail it, the you will usually lean into it with the bike, because the syntriphical force will keep you balanced. If the corner is tighter, and not a steep, then you will usually square it up, and just let the bike lean, since you will have less momentum, hince a harder time balancing. your line through the corner also can change body positioning. Hey psycho diver... I think you are a little confused on your "strait technique" you want to keep your front on the ground as much as possible, because this will help you stay in control.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Yes, side to side movement was what I was referring to. Thanks for the clarification

------------------

Top Bottom