Upper Triple Clamps - Bar Wiggle

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
I have a 2000 KDX 200. Since purchasing I've replaced the top bar clamp with a single top clamp and replaced the bar cones in the upper triple clamp with the rigid Scott's rubber bar cones (thanks to this site) in an effort to keep the handlebars from shifting. After all is said and done, the bars still "wiggle" a little after a hard ride. They haven't shifted, but they just wiggle back and forth slightly in the triple clamp. Almost as if the rubber cones compress too much and don't hold the bar posts tight. I was thinking about replacing the entire upper triple clamp/bar system with an aftermarket one. I know they can be hard to find for the KDX. 2 questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this wiggle?
2. Has anyone replaced theirs and did it seem to fix the problem?

I've searched this forum and seen some recommendations on triple clamps, but haven't seen this particular problem. Hopefully I've explained the problem throughly. Thanks in advance!

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
When I put on my Scotts damper I got the whole kit that has the top triple clamp. It is very nice quality and the bars are very rigid now.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
My point of view:
Yes, they 'wiggle'. It doesn't take a 'hard ride' for that to happen. Mine 'wiggle' after sitting in the garage for the week.

'Wiggle' to mean you can easily move them front-to-back. If you could NOT move them, the bushings wouldn't be doing much, would they? They are not as 'tight' as an un-bushed bar.

I've used the bushings from Scotts, too. They were too hard, imo. Besides that, they weren't quite of the correct size..when installed the metal pieces were pretty much in full contact with the clamp when tightened to any extent. Yes, I used the spacer between the cones. Too much buzz for me, so I took 'em off.

The 'wiggle' has no deleterious effect. It's not a matter of it causing loss of control due the 'slop' inherent in the damping cones.

IF the movement is unsuitable for you, changing to a rigid top clamp would certainly clear that up.

I don't know if the Scott's top clamp is bushed or not. I don't think so...but don't know.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
canyncarvr. do you use the one peice top clamp and does it really help keep things lined up in an tip over? in short are they worth the money?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I use a one piece top clamp.

Yes, it helps keep things lined up..in a tip-over OR a crash-n-burn.

Are they worth it?

That's my opinion.

Without a one piece top, my bars got wonky a LOT. Couldn't just loosen the pedestals up and wiggle them around, either. Any time my bars were tweaked I had take the pedestals completely out and reset the bushings to get things back to 'right'.

I've had to do that once since the one-piece top was put on. Actually...I don't know THAT took care of it, neither! ;) My Renthals finally took a big enough hit to hurt-'em, I'm afraid.

They were good for quite awhile!

BTW, my one piece top came from a machinist that used to frequent this forum, JCV. I don't recall he's green anymore..don't know that he's even around, period. Last post I see from him was last spring.

I'm saying you can't have what I got! ;) ..I think.

Jan 16, 2005
I need to remedy this same problem. Anyone heard if the FRP single clamp is any good? I have Pro Taper fat bars and am not sure if his clamp will accept the inch and an eighth bar. I know an e-mail to him will answer my second Q. but was hoping someone has tried his clamp and has an opinion.
Sorry for the kind of hi-jack cheapo.

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
The kx 250 one piece top clamp works on the kdx. Found mine on e-bay cheap. The honda cr250 bushing(cones) also work in the triple clamp and are much stiffer than the stock kdx ones. Hope this helps.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
I just got my FRP one piece "clamp" and new stock rubber cone bushings in the mail today, I will post back and let you know if it was worth it. I would think you can't really go wrong, it was only about $45 for everything. My bars were getting "tweeked" almost everytime I dropped it or hit a tree, etc, it was getting old tearing it down and re-adjusting the bushings after every ride, I guess if I would just quit dropping it and hitting trees I wouldn't have a problem!

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
Thanks for the replies - its all good rubbersidedown - the more the merrier. Canyncarvr, I do mean the slight back to front motion of the bars...and you are right, it doesn't take a crash or crazy day of riding to see it - just a normal ride. I do have the middle spacer in the Scotts cones and they stick out of the top and bottom of the triple clamp slightly but never dawned on me to take it out. It would seem they would loosen up a bit if it was gone, but I'll have to try it. I don't think the problem is a hindrance of any sorts, just annoying; gives the feel that the bars aren't 'tight'. Before I put the single top clamp on, my bars were always tweaked after a crash. First time was after my first hare scramble several years ago and I thought the bars were bent. So the single top clamp helped with the 'tweaking'. Anymore opinions - I'm all ears...thanks!

Top Bottom