divineaspex

Jun 3, 2007
Ok, here goes nothin! Well today was my first day, feeling very comfortable on my bike(I was flying through trails....OMG it was so fun). So I decide to shift to 3rd for the very first time of my riding career (only been ridin for about a month). So I pick up some extra speed, and about a quarter mile in, my bike proceeds to shut off, muffler was smoking, and it stinked. I have no idea what I could have done.

Plz help, before a take it to a mechanic and they charge me 250 for something I could have done in 10 minutes.

I have a '96 RM 250 (she is a beast :ride: )

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
do you have compression? Like when you try to start it, is it hard or really soft? If you have good compression (its hard to kick not super easy) Pull out your spark plug and see if its black. Let us know!

divineaspex

Jun 3, 2007
Compression is okay.........I took the plug out, it looked fouled (very black) put a new one in. tried to start it, didnt work. I'm gonna kick it a few more times, and see wats goin on. Be back with the results.

divineaspex

Jun 3, 2007
Ok, I tried to kick it over for about 5 minutes.....didnt work........and the compression seems to be a little more soft. This is depressing.

May 10, 2007
check the air filter. i dont think thats the main prob but just check it.

if it seems like its losing compression you might wanna check the rings and piston.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Do you have spark? How many PSI is your compression? You said your exhaust was "stinking". What did it smell like, did it smell sweet?

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
clean your carb too...wont start if its not getting gas, even though it sounds like its getting too much...try EVERYTHING before your tear that apart..

and yes you can get compression testers for pretty cheap..under 20 bucks..

divineaspex

Jun 3, 2007
well, guys ive found out what one of my problems was. the spark plug I swapped wasnt sparking. a friend of mine told me how to check for a spark. so I finally got it started. But that still doesnt explain the overheating in the middle of nowhere, I lost about 10 pounds walkin that thing back the truck.

atticus9

Mar 15, 2007
i was told that to, my bike was running great till all of a sudden i started going through spark plugs like crazzy i changed my ratio from 32/1 to 40/1 and i keep fauling my plugs i dont know my problem either i got a thread up similar to urs to and im still stuck.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
need to lean out that carb...does the bike bog at all in low to high range? if it does specify where it bogs..ie: off the start, midway through, or when your going really fast..

atticus9

Mar 15, 2007
with mine, it bogs only sometimes barly any throttle usually 2nd gear then i got to get the revs up quickly cause thats one it dies and i have to change the spark plug.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
atticus9 said:
i was told that to, my bike was running great till all of a sudden i started going through spark plugs like crazzy i changed my ratio from 32/1 to 40/1 and i keep fauling my plugs i dont know my problem either i got a thread up similar to urs to and im still stuck.
You may have a leaking crank seal also. If it used to run ok, has good compression, and you havent changed anything else, I would look there.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Before ATTEMPTING jetting,you need to rule out mechanical issues!!!!! One guy sounds like a coolant issue,one sounds like a right crank seal. Unless you are a psychic phenomenon then you need a compression gauge and leak down set. Something happened all of a sudden,not jetting,something else. Otherwise this thread will continue,FOREVER!!!

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Before ATTEMPTING jetting,you need to rule out mechanical issues!!!!! One guy sounds like a coolant issue,one sounds like a right crank seal. Unless you are a psychic phenomenon then you need a compression gauge and leak down set. Something happened all of a sudden,not jetting,something else. Otherwise this thread will continue,FOREVER!!!

Why did you have to bring the "voice of reason" into this? I say its the muffler bearings or blinker fluid. If not than it is 100% guaranteed to be your spooge valve. :cool:

P.S. - I hope you know that I am just kidding. Start simple and rule out causes one at a time. Compression tester and a shop manual are a good idea... good luck.

Top Bottom