Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Just got the 2000 KX 125 frontend on the 99 220, its pretty simple -

The KDX steering stem is a direct fit into the 125 lower clamp, the top clamp needed a spacer built to fit the smaller KDX stem & lift the KX top clamp to the KDX stem threads. After fitting the forks I made some 110mm pull rods for the rear to level the chassis and get the rake to 26 degrees (same as the 125, stock KDX is about 25). The brakes were also a direct fit, the KDX caliper and mount fit right to the KX forks, the rotor alignment was perfect and with the KDX line the hose routing is similar to the hondas routing. I had to loose the KDX odometer in the switch over, so maybe a digital is in the future??? A UFO dual lamp set up was on the bike prior but the mounts were fabed to fit the KDX forks, I'm now using the supplied UFO mounting (much cleaner!)

All in all the swap was really easy, just had to make one top clamp sleeve / spacer and some 110mm pull rods. Now I need some good weather to ride in.

PS. Anybody on the other side of the hill from Bend, hows the dirt?

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Thanks for the data Sage.

Question, how much do you estimate the mod at? Where did you get the parts? I have a 2001 200 and was looking to drop a large chunk in the front end. Maybe this would be a better option.

Thanks.

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
Price, no idea? I got the front end from a theft recovery. As for buying a front end from kawasaki..... $1700 per leg!!! it would be cheaper to get a set of Ohlins mx forks for a 97-98 kx ($1795.00) or a set of WP's for a 99-01 kx ($1481.00) and a set of aftermarket clamps @ $350.00, then you'll need a wheel (pre built from white brothers @$400-$500, I found mine on ebay for $240 (gold talon hub with silver excell).

For the price of all the parts, you might find a used 125 and pillage it for parts

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Hey sage, sounds good so far, cant wait to here about the ride. With the forks and new pull rods how much higher is the seat height than stock ?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: other side of the hill

It's great...inbetween weather fronts.

Have been up on john's peak only a couple times last month. There's a 'granite' side and a 'woods' side. The woods being in the snow, we've been riding in the lower granite. No 'snot' effect in granite..but it still gets a bit slippery.

Not as slick as when granite's DRY though!! Dry granite is like riding on marbles.

..that's DECOMPOSED granite btw.

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
37.5" if you measure from the ground to the seat lined up with the foot peg.

canyncarvr, how for are you from Bend? maybe I'll come over that way for a ride?

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
Going to straight rate .42 springs, the dual rate springs were really messing with the rear shock.

Also Jer @ MXtech has a whole lot of KDX rear shock kits he needs to move, so give the guy a call.

Top Bottom