Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I am in the market for a different bike. I checked out an yz250 recently that i would like to buy, but the owner is quite strange and states he does not have the mso/title. What would happen if this bike has a lien on it? How could I figure this out before buying? I have the vin, and ive ran it through carfax as well as vincheck or what ever comes up when I google how to check a vin. They come up clean. Ive spoke to local leo but they will not run a vin without a case against it. Would the dmv do this?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
There are a lot of dirt bikes out there that have no registration or title.

Some states don't require it, and even in the states that do many people manage to get away without ever registering a bike.

If you live in a state that does require it, especially California, I would highly recommend buying a bike that has proper registration. It is possible to get such a bike properly registered, I have done it twice, but it is a MAJOR PITA. Both times required multiple trips to DMV and one trip to CHP, with the bike.

Factor in what 5 hours of your time is worth getting it registered and make an offer based on that.

Rod

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Thank you for the info. I plan to ride this bike in hare scrambles so it would need insurance/registration(some how lol). The insurance is a must, no question there. My concern is if this machine has a lein could a bank/repo company track the bike to me through insurance?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Most people do NOT insure their race bikes. Or any off road bike.

I have my dual sport bike insured, only because California requires it for any on road vehicle. The other 6 off road vehicles I own have no insurance.

I doubt that you could get full coverage on anything that you raced, so you are only talking about liability. There is a very limited amount of damage you can do on a dirt bike...

Buying a bike without a title is always a gamble. It could be stolen. Far less likely that it has a lein on it. Any shop that worked on the bike wouldn't have let the bike out of the shop it they were owed money. Banks don't typically use non titled things as collateral on a loan, so it is very unlikely to have a lein on it. Stolen, well, that is a definite possibility.

Rod

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I insure my bike for the theft coverage, it is real cheap, $25/yr. The DMV should be able to tell you if it is stolen or not. I'm surprised the LEO you talked to would not run the VIN to see if it was stolen.

Top Bottom