Vilimous

Jul 5, 2007
I am trying to get back into riding trails as a weekend thing and like alot of people right now don't really have alot of money to spend; but am willing to put in the time to learn enough about engines to buy something that needs top end work or some other not so major work. I have a couple of options. There is a guy little more then hour away selling a 93 CR125R that he says needs piston, rings and possible honing of the cylinder. I am going to look at it tomorrow. There is another guy a bit farther away (5 hrs) with a 95 CR125R that says pretty much the same + front brake work and a busted back fender. Both asking 500. Can some tell me what else to look out for when I go look at these. Still thinking whether or not its worth traveling 5 hours to see the second one. Also how are these engines when running in good condition for the year manufactured?
Thanks in advance.

Vilimous

Jul 5, 2007
Forgot to mention

The guy with the 93 said he already too the motor out of the frame to start because at first he was gonna work on it but decided he wanted to get a bigger bike. Not sure how true this is.

Vilimous

Jul 5, 2007
Sorry to be a pain but I could go check out the 93 tonight. Is there a big difference in years. Would it be in my best interest to go with the 95 if they have the same problems. Or are they pretty much the same. Again sorry to be a pain but I have to make a decision.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Pretty sure you cant hone the cylinder on todays non-iron liner cylinders... not sure I know why or if thats even true but somehow I think that. LOL.
but honing does nothing except hold oil on the cylinder wall anyway.

If the cylinder is bad/worn-out, its going to get expensive fast.

reality of it is, you may easily spend $1000 to fix the $500 bike. but that might be better than an outright $1500 bike :)

Top Bottom