eric311

Dec 21, 2008
I got a used (04 crf 450) Was told that I needed to replace the valves, and Piston wile I was at it. Well I ordered kibble white valves springs etc. and a wesco Piston kit. After further inspection this bike was poorly maintained. the sub frame bolt that holds to the frame under the seat broke in half. That concerns me bc if I was riding it when it happened It would have really sucked. I looked ar the air filter and there was not even any oil on it and it had a small hole in it to boot. My question is Is this even worth fixing? Will the new top end and some maintenance get me back on track is is it most likely a POS? Will the bottom end fail soon from the lack of maintenance?
Thanks for the help guys

eric311

Dec 21, 2008
By the way I payed about 1900 for it and have about 700 in parts to put in. My thinking was that 2600 was a good deal and even with 500 more I was still doing okay for a 450.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
It sounds as if you paid a fair price for what you got.BTW don't just install the new parts.Break the glaze on the cylinder and get a valve job done too.I'd just go over the bike front to rear and check,tighten and lube everything so at least I have a starting point for maintenance.It's winter now you have something to do while waiting for spring.Purchase a manual and check the crankshaft while the top end is off.Cranks are cheap ($250) and the CRF is easy to work on so just fix 'er up and go riding.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Take a good hard look at the balancer shaft & bearings. Plus carefully inspect the gears that drive the balancer. They do wear out, and when they do, they tend to make big holes in the cases. Guess how I know. The parts aren't expensive, but the headache isn't worth not taking your time to make sure that everything is right.

I'd say that for the price you paid, you got a good deal. So long as you can do the majority of the work yourself.

Top Bottom