JamesGriff

Jun 25, 2009
I believe this is the right place to post this but I'm not real sure if it isn't would a mod please move it to where it should be? . I apologize if it isn't.. Here goes...

I'm looking at a bike online but it has one problem with it that they brought to attention. So I figured I would try this place out and get some insight from people that actually know what they are talking about!

I don't know a whole lot about dirtbikes. But have riddin my buddy's bikes quite often. My question is does this deal seem to good to be true? Or would I be able to just replace the top-end in it and be good? What else should I look for if I go to inspect the bike in person? Also how hard would it be to replace the piston rings and all that?

Thanks in advance.

2000 Honda CR250R
Price :$950
It currently ISN'T running due to burnt up piston rings
thats why the price is so low other than that it is a great bike and I don't have time to fix it.
2 Stroke
FMF Exhaust
Brand New Monster Energy Black Plastics
Extra set of Plastics
2 sets of tires
Pro Taper Handle Bars
ASV Levers
J&N Suspension
K&N Stage 3 Jet Kit
Wiesco Piston
Vortex Sprocket
Twin Air Filter
One Industires Seat Cover

Last edited:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Is the "Wiesco" (wiseco) piston extra, or the toasted one already on the bike? Don't think I'd brag about having a certain brand of piston if it's been reduced to molten slag. But that's just me, a lot of people are more proud of the "extras" and stickers than the condition of the underlying powerplant.
Either way, if the overall shape of the bike is pretty good, not a bad deal around here. A friend last week got a '01 KX250 with weak top end for $600, but that was better than a good deal, it was a flippin' steal.

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
I just bought a '97 cr250r with a new engine, fmf fatty pipe, new grips and new rear tire for $1125. The ebay seller bought the bike blown up and put about $600 into it (I've got the receipts) and told me he made a little profit when he sold it to me, so he must have bought the blown up bike pretty cheap. The bike has no graphics, but it's got good plastic (it's not a looker).
Bike is great except the power valve is not working (see the thread "97 cr2504 with flat top end"). Best of luck!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
One gripe I have is when people quote a price and ask if it is a deal without providing any clue as to where they are. Prices vary with location, and what can be a deal in one area can be an outrageous price in another.

Rebuilding the top end BEFORE it blows up is relatively inexpensive, probably less than $250.

After it has blown up the cost to repair will be a crap shoot until you tear it apart. It is possible that it could just require a new piston and you are good to go. That is really unusual after a seize, however.

Much more likely that it will require cylinder work. Possibly just honing and plating, probably another $200 or so. It might require a new cylinder sleeve, bore and plate which could be $500.

It is also possible that the piston broke apart and pieces went down into the bottom end and cause all sorts of damage. If you have to split the case to fish out all the broken piston pieces it will take a lot more labor and a few extra dollars.

It is also possible that the rod has bent, requiring major work and a new crank/rod assembly.

Boittom line: the deal is pretty good in the best case scenario, OK in the probable case scenario and bad in the worst case scenario.

If you are looking for a project and want to consider it a good learning experience then go for it. If you are looking to have a bike to ride this summer I would look for one that actually runs when you get it.

Rod

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Boittom line: the deal is pretty good in the best case scenario, OK in the probable case scenario and bad in the worst case scenario.

X2. Without knowing excatly what is wrong, you have to price it like it the worst case scenario, IMO.

When you factor in the possibility of needing a new crank assembly and crankshaft bearings (splitting the cases), cylinder repairs and a new piston, $950 is way too high for that much risk, IMO.

If the seller has pulled the cylinder and you can examine it as well as check for up/down play in the connecting rod. That might help rule out the worst case scenario.

FWIW, when I blew up my '99 CR250, it cost about $950 to repair, for a top end kit, crank assembly, crank bearings, a right side crank case half (got damaged when the big end bearing let go), plus a few odds and ends. My cylinder, head, left side crank case and powervalve were not damaged at all. Repairs to those could have easily added much more to the cost.

BTW, you can price parts at service honda. Their prices will probably be lower than your dealer.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There is generally only a couple of reasons to sell a bike in that condition versus repairing it and selling it as a running bike. If the bike simply needs rings as the ad leads you to believe he could have that bike back up and running for less than $100. My guess is either he knows there is much more damage or he's incapable of fixing it himself and either way that leaves him in a bad spot if he wants to see some cash out of that bike.

That bike in perfect running order is likely a $1000-$1500 depending on your location, I'd factor a worst case repair scenario and plan on having to spend $800 to fix it, given that I'd offer him $400 for it and likely top out at $500 if I really wanted the bike. Keep in mind other repairs like replacing chain and sprockets add up fast and can quickly make this bargain bike a money pit that exceeds the market value.

JamesGriff

Jun 25, 2009
I apologize I should have stated that this is in Houston Texas. I'm starting to think that I should just spend some extra cash and buy one that is running well. So I don't have to worry about the "worst" that could be wrong with it.

Top Bottom