used pumpkin which one? opinions please

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
:think :think im looking at a couple of used ktms and the bikes are a 98 ktm 250 mxc street legal with dynoport pipe and bark busters for $2400, or a 99 ktm 300mxc with the same accessories except pipe for $2950. i would say the 300 is in a little better shape but both look to be in good shape.

what are the differences from 98 to 99 and 250 to 300?

to be honest the 300 scares me with all the jetting threads and such but i also have read many great things about them also.

oh by the way i will be doing mostly woods riding in michigan with a little mx track done very slowly, im 42 6' and weigh 190

tia greg

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I've never owned a 300 so my first inclination is to say get the 250 as I loved my 99 250EXC. However, having owned 98 and 99 MXC/EXC's, I can tell you that the 98 PDS and fork were not nearly as good as the 99. The 98 PDS really can't be helped dramatically, either. It was internally very reworked year to year.

If I had to make this choice, I'd go with the 300. I've ridden several and they're very fun bikes. Just more lowend than a 250 but yet not the bad vibes of the 380. You'll just have to be a bit more careful with that right hand than you would have to be with a 250.

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
john thanks for the reply and the advice. maybe i should have been more specific about my current fitness and intentions for the bike, at my best i was probably a low b rider and that was 15 years ago, now i just want to go up north have some fun and not get hurt, plus im not really in moto shape anymore so its going to be slow going at first.

based on that info would you still absolutley not get the 98, i like the price and the 250 part of the deal.

i talked with a local dealer that is well known in the enduro and hare scramble scene around here and he seemed to think they could fix the shock.

also what was the difference in forks for the 98 and 99s

thanks again greg

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
'99 300MXC

The perfect dirt bike.
Best Bike I have ever owned.
That is a fantastic price. It won't last long. What are you waiting for?
I would not consider the '98 250 for any longer than you already have.

Good LucK!

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
In general I would go with a '99 KTM over a '98 because of suspension improvements. I too am an older (47) bigger (6'2", 220) C rider and love my '99 300E. I have heard people concerned about it being 'too much' since it is an open bike. I have never found that to be a problem. I'd say it is more like a beefed up 250 than an open bike. I think the actual displacement is about 275cc. I appreciate the added bottom end because it helps gets me out of trouble. Although it does have a lot of top end it doesn't have a huge hit, the power delivery is smoother and more electric like than most 2 strokes. You can smooth it out even more by adjusting the power valve. As far as jetting, I would hope that given that this is a used bike the jetting situation has long been resolved. I can't imagine anyone riding a bike for 3 years with incorrect jetting. Your only jetting concern would be adjustments due to temperature change. These are usually not siginificant. Even if the jetting needs work, help is available. There are lots of KTM 300 riders in DRN.

Good luck with your choice.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I had a 98' 250 mxc and traded it in for a 99' 250 exc. I really liked the hydraulic clutch on the 99' model enough to opt for it over the 98'.

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
hi just an update on the pumpkin search, i found a 99 250 mxc for $2650 today that is in better shape than the 98 .

well any issues with this bike that i should look for before sealing the deal?

thanks again greg

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Nope. Go for it. You can always add a regulator and lights if you want. Suspension and motor were the same as the EXC so it should be a great ride if my 99 was any indication.

Great find. Let us know how you like it.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
BUY IT AND SEND ME A PM!!!!

Greg,

BUY IT!! I have a '99 300 EXC and LOVE IT while riding the MI woods. I am 6'5" - 250 lbs and I enjoy the power. I have it geared for woods riding (not 65 mph two tracks).

GET IN TOUCH WITH ME! Thanks to DRN the list of my riding buddies has increased dramatically. We would like to have you join our group. Three of us used to ride enduros 15+ years ago and had a great time this summer riding various trail systems.

Mike Jr.

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
I have ridden both the 250's and the 300's and the big differnece (in my opinion) is the low end. The 300 has more of the tractor grunt of a big bore and the hit of the 250 up top.

Which ever one you get I'm sure you will like.

Buy It and join the elite eurotrash Pumpkin Club. :)

Top Bottom