using your feets

Ok so here is the question, I see some guys riding at the track and they put their foot out on just about every corner. Although they probably dont need to. I find myself doing the same thing. Would it be better to try and keep both feet on the pegs and use 1 foot out as little as possible? or ?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
the foot out in front thing is for balance. If you don't need to balance, don't stick out your foot. otherwise...

150rguy

I got fat bars!
But I dont think it helps much of you just let it sit there limply, you've got to actually stick it out for it to be the fastest.

when turning and stuff, coming into going out of, you want to be on the front of the bike weight on the outside peg, sitting on the gas tank basically, some one told me you also want to try and keep as much weight on the back wheel as possible when exiting the turn. true?

150rguy said:
But I dont think it helps much of you just let it sit there limply, you've got to actually stick it out for it to be the fastest.
:whoa:
If you let it "sit there limply", you're probably going to lose a leg. And it's all about personal preference on how far you stick it out. It's mostly for balance.

i have heard on some websites tips that you should aim to stick it out by the front wheel axle/brake. it helps me balance a little but mostly just makes me feel like im not gonna fall even though my leg isnt touching the ground.

When you stick your foot out, you risk getting it caught on something. It's best to keep it on the pegs if you can.

I agree with 76gmc, nothing worse than seeing a guy go down and watching his leg bend the wrong way.

If I'm riding HARD on the mx track or open woods sections, then I always stick it out. I've caught the bike more than a few times when the front end slipped out on me... When I am in more technical woods and/or rocks, I try to keep my foot on the pegs... I've hurt my knee a few times when my foot has hit a rock, tree, or been grabbed by a vine...

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
I wouldn't stick it out as much as I would put it forward.

Of course, even BillyWho drags his feet every now and then...

(hmmm... the only way for him NOT to drag it would have been to ride side-saddle...)