Mar 16, 2007
Ok so here is the question, I see some guys riding at the track and they put their foot out on just about every corner. Although they probably dont need to. I find myself doing the same thing. Would it be better to try and keep both feet on the pegs and use 1 foot out as little as possible? or ?

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
But I dont think it helps much of you just let it sit there limply, you've got to actually stick it out for it to be the fastest.

Mar 16, 2007
when turning and stuff, coming into going out of, you want to be on the front of the bike weight on the outside peg, sitting on the gas tank basically, some one told me you also want to try and keep as much weight on the back wheel as possible when exiting the turn. true?

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
150rguy said:
But I dont think it helps much of you just let it sit there limply, you've got to actually stick it out for it to be the fastest.

:whoa:
If you let it "sit there limply", you're probably going to lose a leg. And it's all about personal preference on how far you stick it out. It's mostly for balance.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i have heard on some websites tips that you should aim to stick it out by the front wheel axle/brake. it helps me balance a little but mostly just makes me feel like im not gonna fall even though my leg isnt touching the ground.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
If I'm riding HARD on the mx track or open woods sections, then I always stick it out. I've caught the bike more than a few times when the front end slipped out on me... When I am in more technical woods and/or rocks, I try to keep my foot on the pegs... I've hurt my knee a few times when my foot has hit a rock, tree, or been grabbed by a vine...

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I wouldn't stick it out as much as I would put it forward.

GomerTurn.jpg

Of course, even BillyWho drags his feet every now and then...

BillyTurn.jpg

(hmmm... the only way for him NOT to drag it would have been to ride side-saddle...)

May 10, 2007
JD_MXRacer said:
i have heard on some websites tips that you should aim to stick it out by the front wheel axle/brake. it helps me balance a little but mostly just makes me feel like im not gonna fall even though my leg isnt touching the ground.

yea feel like your not gonna fall off. thats balance.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
flyingfuzzball said:
yea feel like your not gonna fall off. thats balance.

it does help me balance but its more of a mind thing. like i think if my legs out im not gonna fall.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
wolfgangg said:
I want to be able to do that

How the hell does he manage to do just that. Its amazing and i have seen that in a couple of races.[/QUOTE]

Lots and LOTS of corner speed. The faster you come into a corner, the further you can lean it over.

wolfgangg

Nov 21, 2007
greate reply i would definitly try that, how do i keep up my conering speed if i have to brake i seem to slow down to much, do i just take the turn at a hell of a speed and lean the bike and see what happens ?

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
I find that weighting the front wheel expecially on slippery corners helps to keep control of your cornering better and keeps the front wheel in the path you want by getting much better traction AS LONG AS YOU COMMIT to it 100%

wolfgangg

Nov 21, 2007
I recon that for you todo that you would need enought sand to dick into for tracktion on hard tack you would be doomed. I practiced and found that if you are on hard tack you tend to slide to much as for there are to less sand and its to slipperry so the back comes around and you loose control. Depends if there are a burm or a rut you can dig into ? Is this possible on hard tack ?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You are correct. There is much more traction on softer dirt so you can lay it over farther. The only time a bike can be leaned over that far on hard pack is when there is a decent rut or berm built up to keep you from sliding out.

wolfgangg

Nov 21, 2007
According to your reply the above is incorrect you must know when you can commit 100% other wise you will be doomed. So for you to commit you must first know 100% your surface you are trying to commit on. I have actually done it one time at a dam that was dried out i managed to make it there but never seemed to get it right after that time i believe now that surface knowlege is just as important when conering a dirt bike. Thus knowing exactly what can be done on the suface you are on and then pick and apply the correct technique for that surface.

Top Bottom