EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I need to get a small utility trailer to haul my bikes. Ideally, the trailer would haul two full-sized dirtbikes and three minis (I don't care if I have to cram them in there or put some in backwards). I'd be towing the trailer behind a Suburban or Tahoe. I'm considering 5'x8' ish trailers.

I'd love any thoughts or suggestions regarding the following: (i) best width/legnth for my intended use; (ii) best wheel size (my riding area is a 1.5 hour freeway drive from home; (iii) suggested brands (w/ websites, if possible); (iv) whether I need brakes on the trailer; (v) options to get; (vi) options to avoid; (vii) tie down brackets or bike shoes, etc.

Also, I've seen some ads for trailers that are 6' wide. Is this too wide to tow in a normal-sized lane? Would such a wide trailer be a pain in the a$$?

Thanks!

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
it's not too wide. With the help of my father in law, I built an 8x6 that we also use to haul dirt when we were re-landscaping the back yard. 4 dirtbikes fit in there without cramming them in, and isn't too wide for any lanes anywhere. can't say it's NEVER a pain in the ass, but I've taken it as far away as central oregon from the bay area, works great.

you might check out sears, I bought a small setup from them 7 years ago and basically put a rail on it, you might fit 3 rails on em, but it would require some work but alot cheaper than a custom made one.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Two lessons learned...

First, DO NOT get a tilt trailer - 2-significant problems with these. (1) The wheels are positioned in the center of the trailer bed and as a result you can not load to the back of the trailer - is unbalanced and causes the trailer to fishtail. (2) A tilt bed trialer typically has only a central rail to the hitch - this results in too much flex in the frame - you absolutly want an A-frame to the hitch (3-rails to hitch)

Second, DO NOT go too small - I am hauling CRF450, TTR125E, XR70 in my 10'x5' tilt trailer. I fit three bikes with two forward and the XR70 facing rear - positioned about the mid-point of the trailer (built a rail frame). I also have a XT225 but can't fit the 4-bikes on this trailer AND tie down easily. Also they will bang into one another if all on this trailer. I am looking to go 12'x7' or 14'x7' enclosed to haul 4-bikes and "the crew's stuff..."

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Oh, regarding trailer size - you should be able to handle 8' wide with no problems. While that sounds wide - it is close to tracking with the Taho or Surburban. I tow my boat (8' wide - 24' long) trailer with my Ford Ranger (narrower than either of the Chevys) - the boat tows better than the motorcycle trailer. IMO longer and wider wheel base is why - stability...

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The rear bumper on a single rear wheel full size truck is 6 feet wide, the wheel width is a little less, as measured on my 98 chevy. The mirrors stick out about a foot on each side. I would not go any wider than 8 feet total including fenders. My trailer is a 4x8 with wheels on the outside and a 7' bar on front for tie-downs. It sits behind the truck real nicely.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
A 6x10 will handle 4 full size bikes and a 6x12 will hold 5 full size bikes and gear. check out mx727's pictures for layout. Consider that the kids on the 80's will move up to 125's and then you will be replacing a smaller trailer if you only buy the minimum size now. I just picked up a 6x12 enclosed single axle and it towes easily. The body of the trailer is just a bit narrower than my F150, and the tires stick out about 6" on each side. no big deal. as for brakes Id say you will be right on the edge of needing them or not, your call on that one. Id recomend 14 inch tires.
Happy shopping

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Hey EBOD,
I bought me a 5' x 8' trailer at Lowe's for arround $500. Bought me some 5" c-channel & made me some rails. I also made a rack on the front to carry a smaller bike. It will haul 3 full size bikes & a medium size bike. I pull it behind a Blazer with no problem. I can send you some pics if you want to check it out.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Thanks for all of the information.

Plykins, please send me photos of your trailer, it sounds like almost exactly what I need.

--Eric

Top Bottom