V-Force II - how many gaskets?

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
My bike is in pieces - and I'm happy about that ;) because I'm installing my new DF II. Should I use both gaskets supplied - one on each side of the reed cage - or only use a gasket on one side as was the case with the stock set-up? I've read past V-Force threads but haven't come across the answer to this question...so thanks for the help. This thing is going together tommorrow!

Jeff

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
If you think you might take it back off to try different reed tesnsion, high temp grease might keep them from sticking (and tearing).

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Thanks, guys. It sounds sort of obvious now - that "two are better than one" - but the instructions didn't seem very KDX specific, so I appreciate the responses. I'll use some gasket sealer and do it!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Farmer J,
I've never used gasket sealer and have not had air leak issues.
I just had a VForce gasket tear trying to gently remove it after 1 just hour of riding time.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Did someone not read the directions?

http://www.mototassinari.com/PDF/motorcycle.pdf

That will help you out there. If you need more help, refer to your service manual as suggested. But most reed cages stock have gaskets before and after them.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
I'm with you, Matt90GT. But that's what confused me - my stock reed cage had a gasket on the cylinder side, but not on the intake boot side (unless I missed something). The intake boot ('01) has a rubber "ridge" on its face that appears to have been the sealing mechanism between it and the original reed cage.

...and when I say that my stock reed cage had a gasket, I mean had - because it was stuck to the cylinder mating surface and shredded when I removed it...so I can see what you mean, Jim, about "sticking and tearing".

I do need to get a service manual!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
farmerj, i used gasket between cylinder and reed assembly with permatex hylomar and no gasket between reed assembly and intake boot. the intake boot already has a gasket built in as u mentioned ( rubber ridge). it comes apart easily and no leaks so far.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
I got to thinking about this not only because of the nature of the stock setup, but also because there were a couple of other things in the DF II box that were supplied that I didn't need to use - like the washers used for spacers to cut off the boot if need be (and the instruction that essentially said, "Don't use on low tension setting". IMO, lowered reed life is more of a concern in mx applications).

Given a couple of different perspectives on the issue, I gave MT a call.

Jeff at Mototassinari said that they pack two gaskets in all of their products as a matter of course - since some bikes take two. His opinion re: the KDX was that if the molded o-ring seal on the intake boot was intact, then a gasket would not be necessary - but that it is O.K. to use a gasket if you want to. It would be needed if the rubber seal was damaged.

Sounds like the answer to "one gasket or two" could be - "Yes" :) !

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Farmerj, you are one ahead of me. I also got hold of DF 11.
My barrel is in to fix the crack & a nickasel job.
Patiense...

I see they advise strongly not to use the low tension setting. That is xactly the setting i wanna use.

Are there some feedback from someone that used both settigs?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom