V-Force II Reeds or RB design carb mod

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I'm the type that takes the 'one at a time' approach to mod'd my bike. Every year I do ONE mod..

First year I rode it stock..
Second year ( which would be this year ) I installed the pipe(s) and jetted( or attempted to jet ) accordingly.First the rev -30 ,,and then the torque -35...heeheehe..ya,I'm spoiled..

For next year I'm looking for a little more..
Soooo,,,I'm looking for proven..(reads as those who have actually done both) tried,trued and tested opinions as to what mod to install next.. The or V-Force Delta II the RB Carb Mod
So here's my thoughts.
The reeds ----- thinking it's the smaller increase of the two and it's reversable( can remove and go back to stock.)
The carb ------ it will clean up the pilot circuit and someone else will roughly jet to my conditions.

The cost is not the issue as either one will cost pretty much the same...where I live anyway..

Thanks..let's hear your ideas..

Buc

Last edited:

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
I did both at the same time, I figured I had to take the carb off for either one and while I had it off I might as well do both, I dont know which one is a better mod but both together were great, I have no regrets, you can really feel the power increase (front end lifting and four stroke like torque etc) these two together were more of an increase than the pipe(rev) and that was significant itself. Dollar wise the two (reeds and rb mod) about the same as the pipe and silencer.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I went with 607's and Rons carb work at the same time as was recommended to me by many prominant KDX engineers. In other words, the RB mods with the 607's was tested and proven worthy by several experienced hard-core KDX owners. Other than sucking down more gas, my 200 chugs and rips accordingly..

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You've read what CDave says about the RB mod? From the starting point of the 220 oem 33mm carb, the mod will be a huge change for you.

If you like the 'reversible' idea, have ron set you up with an airstryker as opposed to modifying your oem pwk.

I have about 1/2 a dozen rides on one'a them. Great fun!!

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Yep I sure have read CD thoughts on the RB mod...and several others aswell....That's what prompted the issue in the first place.

I have read a teenneeweenee bit on the striker carb and would like to know more on that.

I do have an extra carb off an earlier 200...that making it a 35mm..The slide has seen better days but the internal seem ok.
I did install it on the 220( with 200 jetting) and found it worked,,,,well,,,,not too bad.Aside from the idle remaining high when the throttle is closed..
I wonder what kind of magic Ron can work on it.

The carb,,,,,,,the reeds,,,,the carb,,,,,,now I'm even more uncertain...but leaning toward the carb........ah.....I think...hehee

Buc

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
So many choices.......cost doesn't matter......talk about having your cake and eating it too!

You will end up with both of them (carb and reed system) sooner or later. Buy 'em both! Bolt one on in the morning, one in the afternoon! One at a time, twice the fun!

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
ouch CC,,,ouch.......... ;)
I don't believe I wrote that I could afford both...
I did however state that the price difference between the two is minimal therefore cost of one over the other is a non issue....Well,,,,,that's what I meant at any rate....:thumb:

I do,,,,come to think of it,,,,,like your thoughts on purchasing both.:) .But that'd be cheating and would be giving into the
mod monster :p way too easily.......

Buc

Oh ya....the extra carb was a $15.00 find....even the poor wouldn't turn that one down....... :laugh:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Maybe I misunderstood: 'The cost is not the issue.'

Sounded to me like cost is not the issue. ;)

After all, if you're 'spoiled' with TWO pipes.......

C'mon. Tell yourself you deserve it!!

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Daaaaaaaaaaang!!!busted on the pipes aswell....sharp eyes indeed.

Originally posted by BucKat

The cost is not the issue as either one will cost pretty much the same...where I live anyway..
Buc

Perhaps I should have worded it like such...
" Because the two parts are soooooooo close in price......price would not be a deciding factor when selecting one or the other",,,,,or as written above....
Sorry .....couldn't resist. :p

E-bay is a wonderfull place... :thumb:
Rev pipe $65USD brand stink'n new....How could I say no. :)
Considering they're near $400CD where I live...Go figure.

Ya....I am spoiled...and shoot,,,,I do deserve it,,I really,really do......
Cause I'm good enough...I'm smart enough and gosh-darn ,,,people just like me...(SNL at it's best)

and at my age.....heck....why not.

Buc

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
I got the RB carb mod on my '02 220 after having installed Boyesen Pro Series reeds. I can't talk about the Delta Force reeds - no experience there. However, the Boyesen reeds were a slight improvement over stock (quicker throttle response), and the carb mod changed the bike completely. One thing I noticed right off was the increased bottom-end response. You have to try hard to stall it which is a great feature for my kind of riding - tight woods. What was 2nd gear, is now 3rd gear. It's odd that I haven't heard this from others but the carb mod stole some overrev on my 220. I don't miss it in the woods (but maybe on the track). The hit with the old set-up (FMF Rev pipe and Pro Series reeds) was too abrupt for me ( I have scares to prove it). The carb mod stretched out the hit slighty. I absolutely Love the carb mod for my style of riding. I call it a "3-stroke" now. Everyone who tried my bike seems to agree.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I have the kg-35 pipe on my 220 and air box mod. I added the DF II first (high tension), it gave the bike more snap, maybe just a tad more on the top end. I just recently got the RB modified Air Stryker carb, only three rides on it so far. Can I just say WOW! Instant throttle response, no loss of bottom end and my 220 (with the torque pipe) finally has some top end. I'd take the carb over the reeds or a pipe.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Thanks for the replies Patrick and davidg.

davidg....can you detail the Air Stryker carb for me..

I know very little of them...

Cost...etc.

Thanks

Buc

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
RE: One preferable to the other (RB/DFII)

If the question is, 'I'm only doing one, which one should it be?' the answer is subjective. Probably the carb.

(look over shoulder for your wife!)
(safe?)
But...it's NOT a matter of either/or (should I put gas in my bike? Or should I put gas AND oil in my bike?). You just gotta do both of 'em! ;)

re: 225
Consider the range reduction result. That is the reason I've decided against doing an overbore. I can't afford any fewer miles-per-tank than I get now, and I don't want any more weight on top (bigger fuel tank).

re: AS $$

Ask ron. The airstryker is more $$...but (obviously) you get a whole different carb in the process. My take on the AS carb so far is that its throttle response is great, mid throttle pull is greatly improved and with it strapped on is the first time I could easily outrun a certain pumpkin. THAT was worth the price of admission right there!!

Haven't heard from TVRider in awhile to know how his is working out for him.

If only I would have read this first.. :thumb:

Buc

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
It was $320 for everything, new carb, modifications and shipping. It's a 35mm carb bored out to 36mm with all the same mods as done on the kdx carb. I'd been considering it for a while but didn't want to have something irreversible done to my carb, incase I didn't like it. Ron said the carb has some extra vent hoses and something else to it that is different than the kdx carb. That makes it less likely to stall in the more technical and rockier areas. He still suggest getting the stock carb mod done, he didn't try to push the Air Stryker on me. He jets the carb to what you tell him, I'm currently running a CEK needle, 38 pilot and 150 main. He even threw in a extra main and pilot jet, for the broad temperature ranges I ride in. I would suggest just calling him. CC could tell you the difference between the modified kdx carb and the mod on the Air Stryker, since he has both!!! And he talks about you spending money, please. :)

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Thanks davidg........

That is a pretty steep price....converte to Canadian buckaroonies to boot.Good thing winters are long here.........that'll give me more time to save...

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
I have the RB carb and Boysen rad valve, i also have the -35 and 30 FMF pipe with the Q silencer. The set up really works well. With the -30 on it feels like my old KX 250, I also run a flywheel weight, and it still kicks A$$!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: loss of topend on a 220 with the rb carb.

I suspect your main isn't right. Changing from a 33mm to a 36mm carb (granted, with the divider taking up some space) if anything will lose you something on the bottom, not the top. That is part of the advantage of the rb mod, though.......probably NO loss on the bottom, and you have a couple more mm to breathe through to boot!

davidg:
Glad to hear you're happy with the airstryker! Throttle response is something, 'eh? Much harder pull through the middle...I'm repeating myself....;)

Top Bottom