Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I recently added one of these to my 1997 YZ 250. The bike allready had an FMF Gnarly torque pipe and shorty silencer. It is otherwise stock.

The bike was jetted pretty well with the stock reeds. Due to the altitude I am at, one step leaner was all the bike needed with the stock reeds and cage.

With the v force added, the plug went black...very black. I have leaned th emain down several more sizes (from the stock 168 to a 160), but that formerly coffee and cream colored plug is still very black. I also went with a needle that is one step leaner than stock.

I like the way the bike responds with the v force in it. Do these things cause the bikes to run much richer???

Am I wasting my time trying to get the plug back to the origional color? I would appreciate any and all help with this...thanks!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
yeah things will recquire leaner settings with the vforce . I cant give you much of a direction to go but I can state that I followed Eric Gorrs book for a homemade port job, Vforce block and c12 fuel on a 94 yz 250 and ended up with a pilot jet that was 5 steps leaner and a needle that was 2 sizes leaner.

If you happened to have read Bclapham's thread on his jetting woes I also had similar issues with that 1/4 throttle area that I chose to live with that bike's mikuni.

Not much for you to go on but your findings of being too rich all of a sudden is not uncommon.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The V-Forces do typically make the bikes run rich.
I am running a lot leaner on my bike than stock (I am in Utah also.)

Is it worth trying to lean out? YES!!! I don't think that you have too far to go though, because when I rode your bike it ran good.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
smaller pilot!:)

btw. still jetting woes, got a brand new PWK carb and cant get the bike to run properly no matter what jets or needles i try- i am having to run the mikuni carb still if i want to ride at the tracks.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Thanks! I will continue after it. The leaner needle helped, but I may need the next leaner as well.

I tried a leaner pilot and was not very happy with it.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
btw. still jetting woes, got a brand new PWK carb and cant get the bike to run properly no matter what jets or needles i try- i am having to run the mikuni carb still if i want to ride at the tracks

Move for the better on the carb (IMHO). Might want to try a different slide. rbdesigns.com will cut it for you to get it leaner, and he's a very good resource for PWK questions in general(mainly does KDX work, and these have PWK's stock). I'm also in the process of getting a PWK working correctly on my WR250, but things seem to be going good for me(used OEM KDX 35mm PWK/slide).

Top Bottom