Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Hi all, As Iam  getting an high mileage s-10, a v-8 conversion crossed my mind, I just wanted to find out if anyone on here  has done this ?  It's a 1992 tbi 4.3, and I have ehard  that I can slip a 350 tbi pretty easily without a wiring harness nightmare.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I even have the advance adaptors little book... I was just wanting to hear 1st hand from someoen who has actually done this swap.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I've never done one but it shouldn't be too bad. A 4.3 is a regular smallblock casting minus two cylinders, on the mounting shouldn't be too bad. I think the biggest problems will be with the length differences--clearing the radiator. What about the rear end? Can it handle the extra torque? Will it ever be able to put it all on the ground or just smoke the tires off the rims.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
I believe the 92'S10 ran a 700R4? There shouldn't be a problem converting - unless it was a standard, then I wouldn't recommend it. Are you going with a crate, or modified? And, what's wrong with just replacing the 4.3? That was a screemer of an engine! Just my two cents?

Alooooooha!!!
TrailTramp

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Well, I'd go with a replacement 4.3 engine, but the reality part is that the 350 is the cheapest engine to rebuild, and believe it or not, the v-8 engine actually runs smoother, there was an odd vibration issue with the 90 degree v-6 design even though it was a 350 with 2 cylinders missing.

So I am gonna look for a stock 350 out of a '92 pickup with the AOD, and get the computer, and engine complete from throttle body to oil pan, and see what happens... Now all I need is some money....
As far as clearence... It will clear, but I have to run an electric fan behind the grill, and eliminate the fan bolted to the water pump....

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
it might be easier to find a 305 there were many more of them around and would push an s-10 really easily, its true the 4.3 has a vibration every 750 rpm that will never go away the couterbalance 4.3 (W engine) has a couterbalancer but the intake and fuel system is a not a swapover due to clearance problems...some camaros and roadmasters, caprices had 305 tbi motors that would make an easy swap i want to put an lt1 in an s truck but that would be alot more involved fuel pump pressures lines etc, thats a popular swap and lots of info available, good luck

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
My buddy has a 93 S-10 with a 93 camaro v-8 in it. Its nice. He just took the whole thing from a junkyard camaro. Wiring and all. I think that he had someone rebuild the engine before he stuck it in there. Its a shame that he does'nt drive it much any more. I have not seen it recently, but I know it flat out moves as I have had a ride in it!

Top Bottom