Apr 30, 2007
Valentine’s Weekend Adventure

The following includes the last two races of Motokazie’s indoor season.

Friday night found me in a pretty low state of mind. I am not a depressive sort of person, but winter has finally gotten the best of me. I knew it was bad when I felt no motivation to even start packing my gear. Some classmates stopped by my usual haunt shortly before the lounge closed, and expressed some concern for my attitude, or lack completely thereof.

“Tolle, are you sure you’re going to be okay? It’s not right when you don’t smile.”

I politely declined their offers of company, and promised them that I’d be back to my grinning normal self on Monday.

13:30 and counting.

I bumped around my apartment for a while, not really finding anything to occupy myself but the trusty little Samick guitar sitting by my futon. I played quietly until 2am, when I finally felt like I could get some sleep.

11:30 and counting.

Seven sharp had my alarm piercing my eardrums with excruciating persistence, and my fingers fumbled quite retardedly for the snooze button. I literally felt like someone was sitting on my chest, and had to struggle to even sit up. Stumbling into the shower, I found that there was only lukewarm water this morning. Even so, it did seem to wash a little weight off my shoulders. After throwing a few foodstuffs into a small cooler and exchanging my winter gear box for the trunk that holds my race gear, I turned the key, and went to go pick up my ride.

7:30 and counting.

I hefted my still new companion off the stand, and threw a leg over for a moment, taking a lap or two in my mind. After a short look-over, the bike was loaded, ramps stowed, and I was off driving again. Northern Minnesota was graced by the brightest bluebird skies that anyone could have asked for. It was a beautiful drive. Pulling off on exit 50, I spotted the first sign directing me to the Red Horse Ranch Arena.

A small smile cracked my face.

4:30 and counting.

I registered, then unloaded and found an empty “pit” to claim as mine for the weekend. I made my way quickly to the track to fill my lungs with the sweet smell of dust and exhaust. The track was different, and I counted three sets of whoops/small rhythm jumps to my very slight dismay. After getting a small fix, I ventured the outdoors again to fetch my gear box, and cooler.

I started throwing stuff on my shoulders and back; I had so much crap to carry that it made walking pretty difficult. Between the shifting weight and the slippery parking lot, I felt and looked like a sauced up packhorse. Someone was kind enough to hold the door, but I didn’t fit through.

“Oops.”

Try number two went just as poorly, and I ended up having to drop everything with a very sheepish grin to the doorholder.

“Sorry…uhmmmmm…yea… I’ma just chuck this all through quick. Thanks!”

Doorholder person laughed at my predicament, and even stuck around to watch as I reloaded myself and started tottering off towards the pits. Having not thought ahead, I was promptly accosted by the pit guard ladies.

“Where’s your wrist band!?!?! Need to see it!!”

“It’s on my wrist…you’ll have to come roll up my sleeve if you want to see it. Left side.”

They weren’t really all that amused by my predicament. However, I wasn’t about to set my back-breaking pile of stuff down. We had a two second standoff before doorholder person stepped in (still laughing) and provided sleeve assistance. With another word of thanks, we parted ways, and I finally dropped all my gear in the proper place, and customized my pit area until I was satisfied.

I bumped around the track entrance and exits for quite a while, just watching the dirt and riders fly. I made note of as many ruts and lines as I could see, gaining a great sense of comfort from the simple observations I was making.

0:30 and counting.

A taller rider was standing next to me, and I finally glanced up (quite a ways up) to identify the person.

“Oh…Hi!”

It was one of the riders/racer dad from my circuit up north. After the greetings and a few track comments were exchanged, they announced that the last practice laps were going on, and we parted ways. It was time to gear up. In light of the very cold sandbox adventure, I threw on an extra layer under my jersey. It was noticeably warmer than the last set of races, but with my lack of “natural insulation” I still wanted to avoid a 6 hour shivering session.

Latching on my boots and pulling the chest protector and neck roll over my head had me feeling like a normal person again. It is a little funny how I can feel a sense of comforting familiarity just by putting my gear on. “Mmmm, yep, it’s race day…”

0:10 and counting.

The 85 practice was called up, and I threw on my helmet and dusted off my goggles, taking another moment to stuff some stubborn strands of hair away from my face. This was a rather frustrating minor detail, as I’ve never had my hair this long before (almost down to my chin). This process is normally a “buckle-and-go” sort of thing. Maybe I’m a little too resistant to change?

0:05 and counting.

The first group of faster riders was just flying out of the gate like an angry swarm of bees, and I pushed through the big bikes to pick a clear spot to throw a leg over. I decided that my best bet was to take one of the last positions for the slower group. I glanced to my right to see a familiar set of gear next to me; it was #457 from the circuit up north. We exchanged nods, because it the enclosed area served as an amplifier to the bikes on the track, and it was too loud to understand any sort of yelling.

The gate keeper swung his arm in a circle over his head, signaling that we were allowed to fire up. Two kicks had my supermini happily braaaping in tune with a dozen other bikes. It felt good. I shook out my arms, loosening my muscles as best I as I could while watching the other bikes navigate the track.

29…
28…
27…

The last few bikes started coming around the corner, and I took a few slow deep breaths, feeling my heart pounding in anticipation.

The gate man pointed at the first two riders, and they blazed away, spraying the rest of us in a rust colored shower of flying dirt.

The next bikes were out of the way

I clicked down into first.

I rapped the throttle…clutching my way towards the track.

The gate man pointed at me...

…and I dumped the clutch, flying out on to the track with my front wheel off the ground. I still can’t describe the feeling of relief that I felt, but the weight of the world had dropped completely off my shoulders. Nothing else mattered but the dirt in front of me.

Riding was even easier yet in comparison to the two races before. I felt much more in control, and I even managed to try with a few different lines. I knew that the other riders in my class would be a long ways ahead, so I decided to play around with the big bowl turns that had been added. They were ridiculously fun! The whoops were a lot bigger than they had looked. I considered riding through them like doubles, but opted to play it safe until I was off doctor’s orders. They were a fairly hard to judge, and I decided to use those sections to practice less dangerous stuff…like hanging on!

The “real” world was a much happier place when I got off the track, even though practice ended far too soon. The dirt was perfect for playing. I was content sit in my pit stall, and wait for my first moto. I even had wireless access, so I fired up the laptop and browsed a few different forums and chatted with friends while I waited.

I somehow managed to take a nap, despite the chilly conditions and thundering 4-stroke engines. In fact, I was nearly late for the lineup. One of the pro riders had returned for the second weekend, and the other two riders were of higher skill levels too. I knew that I would take 4th out of 4, but that didn’t bother me much. I just wanted to get out and play in the dirt again. As they let us through, I noted that they had arranged us to double drop with the two pit bike riders. The helpful dude from before was there again, and set up my gate for me.

As it ended up, they let us all go at the same drop. I ended up getting sideways out of the gate because he had piled a little hump of dirt up to help me over the bar (I didn’t know why, but I made sure to ask him not to do it the second time around). It was just big enough that I did a microjump, and being slightly off balance, I nearly went directly into the rider beside me.

A few hops saved me from an embarrassing high-side, and I managed not to crash into 457. In the first corner, the bigger kid (rider 09 I believe) on the extremely pimped out pitbike got in front of me, and stayed there despite every line I tried. I made one attempt at doubling the big triple jumps, but bounced cased it both times and decided that luck was keeping me upright, and that I’d better not use it all up.

On the second to last lap, I got cross rutted and realized that I couldn’t save things. Time went into slow motion as I neared the ground. Just as I expected to hit, there was an occurrence of what I can only describe as purely divine intervention. The back wheel caught while I had the throttle still on (I think? No friggan clue on my end…) and the bike was suddenly upright. Being as I still had hold of the handlebars, I was flung right back in the saddle!! I saved from highsiding in the other direction with a “divinely” placed foot, and was around the corner even before I figured out what had happened.

The bizarre hilarity of it all sent me into a fit of giggles, and I nearly had to pull off the track because I was rapidly developing a painful stitch. I finished the race, still laughing even as I got lapped by the leader. I gave the faster pitbike rider a thumbs up as I got off the track and pushed my bike back to my pit stall. Moto #1 was a success, even if I did get shown up by a little dude on a pit bike.

I'll try hurry up and get the rest posted...

Apr 30, 2007
(It's here. Thought I posted it on saturday, but ends up my computer wasn't having any of it.)

Moto #2 came very quickly, and I made the decision that I wasn’t going to let any pitbike beat me twice. “No way, no how, nuh-uh!” The gates dropped, and I made it into the corner just behind the pro rider. The faster pitbike was just over my shoulder on the inside, but I did my best berm railing impression, and came out in front of him. Just after the corner, 457 skipped past me through the whoops section.

I wasn’t about to slow up like I had the previous moto, and decided to see just how nice a properly set up suspension would work. Ends up that it works pretty good! I hit the face of every whoop with ULTRA AGGRESSIVE STYLE (copyright someone else), and bounced goonishly through the section, and the following double.

I wasn’t out of control, per se, but I was letting loose just a little bit more than before. I picked a center line that brought me halfway up the berm, and headed for the first triple. I wasn’t going to double it this time around, but seeing the little pimp(pit)bike taking the inside, I knew it was time to let the bike take the jump for me. I grabbed a handful of throttle, and brought myself into attack position at the face of the launch ramp, and shifted into second. “AIE--”

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

I missed the shift, and dove straight down. The death grip sequence was automatically initiated.

“---YIKES!!!!”

My chest protector saved me from the wrath of the handlebars, and I managed to stick on the bike. I didn’t quite knock the wind out of myself, but certain parts of my anatomy were protesting the impact. Feeling just a little too relieved to deliver anything more than a mild reprimand to the new ride, I returned my focus to the next triple. I didn’t commit for the double, instead choosing to loft myself off the single. This was enough to keep me just in front of the faster pitbike.

He dove to the inside, and I took the berm again, getting near and passing him on the tabletop with my surprisingly effective case-and-bounce method. Between that, and a few delivered “ninja” yells, I was holding my ground. The poor guy had to think I was nuts, but even that thought had me grinning. Through the back building, I fought with the rut, and lost a little distance.

I launched over the single, and in doing so hit the next section of whoops just a little too hard, without being on the gas hard enough. I barely doubled the first two, and plowed right into the face of the third. Again, the suspension did its incredibly amazing thing, and sucked it all up like a thirsty dude presented with a beer. I still bounced through the rest of the section pretty hard, and lost quite a bit of speed in doing so.

Just as soon as my front was clear of the last annoying dirt hump, I came on my favorite part of the track, and pinned it with a gleeful whoop. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, through the straight, then let off and leaned through the sweeping corner. I threw out an extra goonish leg and tipped things over pretty far to make myself look faster. (Okay, blatant lie there, I did it to make myself *feel* faster. Hehe!).

My ULTRA AGGRESSIVE GOON tactics had distanced me from the pitbike! Success!

Or so I thought. While I was taking the easier, but much longer line of hitting the berm, the little dude had darted to the inside again. “Good grief this little dude is crazyfast.” All the distance I had made up in the straight had just been lost in the corner. Having one lap down, I realized that I was going to have to play all my goon technique cards just to stay in front of him.

“It’s a friggan pit bike!! You can’t let one of those beat you!!!”

The next lap was an exact repeat of the first. I cased it both times doubling each triple, but doing so kept me in front of the little dude. I threw out more “AIEYAH”s, and started laying down the ULTRA AGGRESSIVE GOON style corners every chance I had. I race for the fun of it, and many wouldn’t realize what a little goonriding can do. It’s just fun.

Lap three was exactly the same, with me being only a little further ahead. I began checking to see where the pro rider was, but I couldn’t see her. Finally, as I came into the back building and its big rutty 180, she thundered past, almost surprising me. I normally hear the 4-strokes a lot sooner than that. I lofted over the single, and through the small whoops section with almost a feeling of relief. All the hardcore gooning had been starting to wear me out.

I was 4th (last) overall in the women’s class that day, but some good racing was to be had with that pitbike. The kid came in just behind me, and we exchanged a grin and thumbs up before parting ways in the pit area. I was completely content with the world as I sat down to take off my boots. Even better was the thought that I was going to do it all again tomorrow. Can you get any better than that?

I’m a racer, not fast or even that skilled, but life is good.

Apr 30, 2007
I've been "racing" for two years - this summer will be my third. However, due to a broken collarbone, I've really only had one full season.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
hike up your skirt sally! ^^ :D

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Cool, good luck to you with your future racing! It really sounds like you enjoy yourself out there.

Apr 30, 2007
MX86 said:
hike up your skirt sally! ^^ :D

You should talk :blah:

I only missed two races out of 16. One race after each break. Past that, I was back in the saddle about a week and a half each time. :nener:

Joe, I do ride for my own purposes. Racing got in my blood and I couldn't be happier for it.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i'll go bar to bar with ya. just get me a bike to race you on. don't think it would be fair with me on a 250 :p

Top Bottom