KTMAUS

Feb 18, 2001
After alot of help from this forum i recently adjusted valves on my KTM520EXC. To my suprise it was not that hard at all but my question is i have now reassembled and have a ticking noise coming from my motor which i am sure was not there before i opened it up. Does anyone know what this ticking noise is ie valves gap to much or to less etc)

Any help much appreciated

KTMAUS

KTM520EXC

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
It sounds like maybe the valve lash is to much. You want to feel a slight drag on the feeler gauge but the next size up you don't want to fit in. 2nd, you could have been on the wrong stroke when adjusting the valves. They must be adjusted at TDC compression stroke (the next time the piston comes up after the intake valve opens). Were all the valves tight when you adjusted them? if so, I bet that you were on the wrong stroke. I would try adjusting them again
biggrin.gif

KTMAUS

Feb 18, 2001
dstktmusa

If i had adjusted valves not at true TDC would the motor still run or would it run like a bag of crap.

I'm very worried now that i have done damage to my motor.

Also another thing i have noticed that if i have throttle open slightly the estarter stops sometimes like something stopping it and then will kick over as soon as i release throttle back to nothing.

Hope this info helps

Thanks KTMAUS

colorado-high

Jul 4, 2000
If your valves are not adjusted at TDC your valve timing will be off. This could cause poor running. I doubt that you did any engine damage. I would check your valve adjust again making sure that you are at TDC and using the crank locking bolt. My starter does the same thing when my engine is hot.Typical hot start thing with 4strokes with electric start.

------------------
TWIST and SHOUT

Geoff

Oct 9, 2000
I adjusted my valves the first time and hads the same problem - ticking.

I adjusted them again using the crank locking bolt and driving the adjustment down on the feeler gage. The feeler gage had noticable drag when removing, but not major (wiggle words).

No more noise. Oh yeah, my e-start does the same thing.

------------------
99 WR400 - sold
00 KTM 400SX - sold
01 KTM 520EXC - rocket
www.trailtech.net

Brett-TSI

Mar 30, 2001
Where is the crank locking bolt? Trying to adjust my '01 520EXC valves and my intakes seem to have 0 clearence. I am on TDC compression but having a problem getting the engine to stop exactly. Seems to want to go past. Also the intake adj is .004?

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
The crankshaft locking bolt is located at the lower front of the motor. It is the only bolt in the area and it has a 6mm alan head with a large copper washer. The best way to rotate the motor is to remove the stator cover, yes you will lose some oil but it is worth it to be able to rotate the motor over easily. Watch for the intake valve to open, as the piston comes back up it will be TDC compression and the locking bolt can be inserted without the washer to lock the crankshaft in place.

KTM400EXC#232

Mar 19, 2001
Even easier, spark plug out, put bike into either 4th or 5th gear, (to reduce the effects of valve spring rotation on engine), raise rear wheel of ground. Using kick starter by hand turn engine over until inlet valves are fully open, ie. springs compressed ALL OF THE WAY DOWN. Adjust exhaust side valves. Do opposite for inlets. If you need to turn the adjusters more than 3/4 of a turn you are on the wrong spot, check the opposite valves are fully compressed.
Practise getting the valves in the right spot before adjusting opposite end.

------------------
go on, brake late, my mum does!

Bill_RC1

Mar 29, 2001
O.K. guys. Some place in that manual their must be a section on how to adjust the valves on the 520SX -- this is my first 4-stroke so I'm new at this. Does anyone know where in the manual it gives the instructions or how to get a service manual to walk thru the process?

I've adjusted valve lash on car engines many times so I know whats going on but just would like to see the instructions. i.e., remove tank, radiators and such. What is the valve lash, intake and exhaust and so forth.

What is the recommend service window between adjustments?

Any help would be nice

------------------

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
There are no instructions in the owners manuals, if you want instructions, you will need to get a shop manual,(ktm/racetech) sells them ($45. find them on the web)
Its not that difficult;
Remove seat/tank, remove radiators, both sides. Pull spark plug,(makes turning engine over much easier!) TDC is best accomplished like this; Take crank locking bolt out @ front of engine, remove the thick copper washer, and START it back in the hole. Do not thread it all the way in yet or it will hit the crank at the wrong point. Now slowly turn engine until you see the intakes open(springs compressed), at this point, screw the crank locking bolt the rest of the way in with your fingers,(no need to tighten) Then carefully crank engine a bit more till crank comes in contact with the locking bolt. WALA,...TDC.
Intake - .004
Exhaust- .006

------------------
Faster Bikes, Younger Women, & Older Whiskey
AMA
BRC

Bill_RC1

Mar 29, 2001
Thanks Shaw520 for the info -- one last question. Engine hot (warm) or can she be cold when setting the valve lash?

What's a good quess on how often you needto adjust - I believe the manual states every 15 hours.

Thanks

------------------

Top Bottom