cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
just want to know how often you guys check your valve clearences.also maybe someone with a 02 or 03 crf could tell me the aprox.time before you had to add shims.thanx any help would be great.
ps dont tell me to read the manual.the manuals time frames are for pros with a never ending bank account.

B

biglou

Quality feeler gauge: $30 or less.
Shims: $6 (or less) each x 4.
Checking valve lash: $Free.

It takes about, what, 20 minutes to check valve clearances? Why wouldn't you want to follow the recommendations in the manual? "Pros with a never ending bank account"? What's that got to do with anything? If the clearance is out of spec, it's out of spec and needs reshimmed.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The manual is for those who own the bike. RTFM is very good advice.

If you follow the maintenance intervals there you will easily keep your bike in great condition. I admit to straying from the piston replacement interval but I change the oil a lot more frequently and check the valves regularly.

Ivan

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
so big lou do you do everthing in the 2.5 hour box in the maintenance schedule.did you replace your fork oil after your first break in ride.
when you owned a two stroke did you check your piston every race.did you replace your topend every 4 hours.
i have only 10 hours on my bike and have changed oil and filter twice,i changed the fork oil and greased the stearing head,and linkage bearings.and yes i have checked my valve clearance.
all i was trying to find out how often i will have to add shims exc.my only problem was, the person to reply first WAS a pro with a never ending bank account.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by cr lover
and yes i have checked my valve clearance.
all i was trying to find out how often i will have to add shims

So tell us the result - were they out of spec (and need to re-shimmed)?

You only shim them when it's necessary, and you don't add shims, you just replace the existing shim with one of a different thickness.

As far as how often to re-shim the valves, only you will know the answer to that question (after you've checked them ;) ).

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The PRO statement is out of line and demonstrates a general lack of understanding of maintenance intervals.

#1, If you have met Lou, Pro, is probably the last adjective you would use.

Fun nice guy is more appropriate.

#2 Duty cycles at a national level are what generate the recommended values for service intervals.

If you want to start taking chances go for it.

I always check my valves after break in and then with every other oil change until I can chart their stability.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by cr lover

all i was trying to find out how often i will have to add shims

Sounds like someone needs to read the manual. :eek: :confused: :scream:

Oop's, sorry. :laugh:

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
Hey, SFO, jumped to a Honda huh?

I don't know if you remember but I was supposed to come over, to your shop with another friend,a few years ago but I didn't make it.
I should still drop by soon, I have a few good stories to tell you about Kibblewhite stainless valves in a YZ250F.
Cheers!

Top Bottom