Vans... not the shoes, the bike hauler.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I need some advice on a multi-purpose tow truck/bike hauler. I want a vehicle that will:

• offer easy day-trip bike transportation without pulling a trailer, and security for the bikes
  • take 2 full size bikes & full support gear (racing/camping crates)
  • pull a medium size RV (like 22 ~ 24')
  • have seating for 4 adults
  • be reasonable for daily commute of 45 miles roundtrip

A supercab pickup with 8' bed would do some of that, but my riding partner isn't going to get much older & the back seat won't be big enough. And the bikes can be stolen when you stop for lunch, or do the overnight motel thing on enduro's. So I'm thinking about the full size van route, but have never owned one. (Or even ridden in one that I remember) I would appreciate any and all advice or thoughts, and I also have some specific questions:

First of all, will bikes fit inside without tying down the forks? And is it a hassle loading up? I could see where the lower floor height is an advantage versus a truck, but the roof could be a head knocker.

Do the extended vans have room for 2 full size bikes in back, have seating for 4, and still leave some room for a few racing & camping crates?

How noisy are they rolling down the interstate at 70? Or a better question, are they comparable to a 3/4 ton pickup for interior noise?

What is a reasonable service life for the the 1 ton van? I will need to buy used, and would like to get 4 to 5 years use before trading again.

Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
We have a full size Dodge cardo van at work. I would fit 2 bikes but not with 4 people at the same time. It is not one of those extended vans though. One other thing, it's LOUD driving down the highway. Worse that any pickup I have ever been in.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Vans are awesome!! The extended wheelbase ones are best for bikes with passengers. Well arranged extended van will easily hold 3 bikes, all your gear and 4-5 passengers. When properly insulated, they are quite reasonable sound wise. Uninsulated, it's like travelling in a 45 gallon drum. I've had trucks and vans for years, and would take a van over a pickup anyday. I personally find them more comfortable to drive as well, but that's just me. A good 1 ton should last a long time, assuming "the rust" doesn't get it :(

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Find an extended 15 passenger van type with a diesel if possibly. The diesel will last a long time if treated right and get 20mpg. In the extended you could seat 4 and carry 2 bikes. along with a good amount of stuff. If need be for $70 you can get one of those hitch mount carrying platforms. Build a somewhat secure box on it and your set.
The ones I've been in are not too noisy. Definetley better than a truck with mud tires!!!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Here's what you need!

02 GMC 3500 extended van, turbo diesel, cargo-spec but fully loaded. I have to drive this thing 6 hours a day, and there isn't much I'd trade it for. All it needs for your purpose is a bench seat added behind the two front captains chairs and wheel chocks.
I bought a '02 Chevy Silverado 2500HD that's just about fully loaded, and while the interior is a bit "nicer" the van is more comfortable for long hauls.

It gets about 20mpg on the highway when the weather/driving is good.

If you get a Dodge or Ford, the extended chassis is not an extended wheelbase, just an extended butt hanging over the rear axle. The Chevy rides a lot better for this reason alone, and it distributes the weight much better, especially if you're using the hitch. Think of all the extra leverage you get having the axle further back.
You cannot get a diesel in a Dodge van, either..
Nor can you get one in a Chevy/GMC as of 2003.
:thumb:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
It's definitely the way to go on a riding trip.. If it's not a long drive or overnight trip, the pickup is more convenient though.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
My family owns a 02 dodge ram van 2500. it is not extended tgough. the good part of dodges is that they have a passenger vanoption that is more common than the competitors(at least til they are discontinued). we have the 318 in it and it moves pretty well. we have fit two full-size bikes, a mini bike adn some gear in the back while pulling a 28 foot travel trailer. the 360 would be best but the 318 is ok. The motors are bullet proof and i have known them to last to 200000miles with only minor repairs. the back may be tight for the bikes, but they usually fit without bending the fender.
PS the interior on the passenger vans is reasonabley quiet, and has a great ac/ heating system, its like ahurricane

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Ken,
I am pleading, don't do the van thing. get a crew cab, put a motion alarm on it, back it into the hotel slot, and double cable lock the bikes. you CANNOT get a bike out of a truck without moving the truck around and setting off the alarm. ford crew cabs have plenty of room for growing boys, AND their stuff! Personally, i tried the van thing, small and large, and that tight foot pedal area does not work with a size 13 shoe OR a six foot frame! and one other thing, have you ever tried to get a yard of mulch in and out of a van??? or how about those landscaping projects?, drywall? 10ft sheets? well, you get the point.
Just my 2 cents worth..............................

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
gnarlykaw, FWIW, what vans have you driven where you found inadequate footroom?

I've put a lot of hours in a '96 Dodge 3/4ton, a '99 Ford 1ton, a '97 GMC 1ton and a '02 GMC 1ton. If you were referring to the Dodge or Ford vans, I agree, not a lot of foot/legroom there, especially the Dodge. The GM vans on the other hand have a ton of legroom, I can stretch my legs out farther than in my pickup. It is a bit narrower for shoulder room on your door side, but I am 6'5 and wear a size 14 shoe, I personally find it adequate and very comfortable in general. :thumb:

As for the yard of mulch, I can't disagree with you there!

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
was just stating pedal area is too tight for my liking. also, was pretty much a pain for my wife and i in daily life. getting in and out with the frt. wheel right there was just no fun for us. i like a square door! LOL

Top Bottom