Vantage, WA: Poker Run & Desert 100

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
I recall someone asking about this in a recent post.... i got this from my copy of the nma events calendar(Thx again Mace!)

*Vantage poker run is 4/21/01
*Desert 100 & youth hare scrambles 4/22/01
contact: jerry allen (425)334-6125 or steve davies(206)367-7747

i'm going to try to attend the poker run.

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Andre, not the 100? I have never ridden up there, what should I expect? I was considering riding the 100, but don't really want to get in over my head... anybody ridden it? Maybe the poker run is where it is at...

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
i haven't ridden there either, so that's the first excuse i'll use for not doing the full 100.
keep asking why & i'll keep coming up with excuses.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the info., dual-sporter. A friend of mine in Ellensburg offered to let me ride his KX500 in the D-100 this year. All I had to do was fly out there. Unfortunately the date coincides with Mrs. Woods house-hunting trip to Upstate, NY.

I last rode the D-100 in 1990 and had a great time. Whether you are fast or slow you can always have fun at that race. I say "go for it!"

------------------
'98 GasGas EC250
'01 Sponsors
me, myself, I

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have heard that the Mt. St. Helens ash there is terrible on engines and airfilters. Filterskins or filterwraps or whatever they're called are highly recommended. Button, ask Todd at Dick's--I think he's ridden it. He's an A-class woods and desert rider so he's done a lot of the big races in the area.

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
i think i'd be nuts to even try the 100!

i've never ridden much over 50 miles in one day, much less 100 in a race setting in the desert.
then there's my bike... not a racer of any sort (you've seen it)XR250L, the L stands for weenie bike suspension.... i'd be dead before half way.

it'd be daring for me to even try it, but if i actually finished, i'd have bragging rights to say i did it, or at least dared to try.... so, maybe.

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
The hare scrambles we run last 3 hours, and I usually ran about 80 miles in the first one (about 65 in the snow in the second), and that course is pretty tight. You could do 100 miles in less than 3 hours.... "these aren't the droids you're looking for"... I am up for it if you want to meet up and get beat up... Not that we would have contention hopes anyway, just for fun.

620rider

Mar 5, 2001
hello,
I went on the desert 100 poker run last year, the "iron man". That, the iron man, was the fastest poker run i have ever been on. I think it was the fastest, because it is the day be for the race, so everyone uses it to practice for the race. You have to do 30, 40mph to keep up with most of the people, and will still get passed a lot.
Dust, wasn't a real problem. It really wasn't bad. If i am remembering right i think it was 100 miles, i think thats what the guy told me. But it was a, well it was a hard days ride! I had to fill up half way through, and that was with my xr 250, i don't know if the ktm could make it...

jbr

Jan 5, 2001
I think i'll give it a try this year. a frind of mine did the 100 last year on his xr250 and had alot of fun, but was wore out buy the last lap(ha ha!). from what he seid just watching the start would be worth the drive!

[This message has been edited by jbr (edited 03-05-2001).]

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I've heard from alot of people that the desert 100 is a fun race, but also heard it's kinda tough. I could care less about how well I did, I haven't gone ridding over there in so long it would be fun just to check it out. In fact I just got asked out a rieters this sunday if I was going. I'll go if anyone else wants to go, don't worry i'm not super fast and probably wouldn't make it to the end hehe :)

Joe
'01 CR125R

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I raced the D-100 twice, '89 and '90. The terrain is typical eastern Washington. Volcanic ash, sage brush and rocks. It's a fairly open and fast course filled with uphills and downhills that are easily negotiated even on small-bore bikes. Just keep your speed up. The best and worst parts are the shotgun mass start. This is where pure horsepower counts.

In '90 my buddy stacked three filterskins on top of his CR250 air filter. After 20 miles the first one became so clogged that the bike died. It's the only time I ever passed him. I ran the stock filter on my Yamaha both times and never had a problem. It was pretty dirty though.

Somewhere around mile 14, by a big rock about 10 yards off the course, I stashed the rear fender off my IT and the visor off my helmet. Can you let me know if it's still there?

------------------
'98 GasGas EC250
'01 Sponsors
me, myself, I

May 8, 2000
I've ridden the Desert 100 the past three years, did well the first year and two dnf's since, last year with a broken back. The course is the same each year for the most part as they are no longer on the South side of I-90 and are using private ground North of the Interstate. The course is three loops with sage brush and a number of rock gardens; even a little bit of old highway to wind out in top gear and take a sip of water. I have not found it to be terribly dusty in the years I have ridden-one year we had rain and the next two years the wind blew strong enough to make it a non-factor; it can be dusty in the first few miles until everyone gets strung out. In my opinion I don't think the race is particularily difficult, but then I haven't finished the last two.

May 8, 2000
I've ridden the Desert 100 the past three years, did well the first year and two dnf's since, last year with a broken back. The course is the same each year for the most part and they change direction each year. They are no longer on the South side of I-90 and are using private ground North of the Interstate. The course is three loops with sage brush and a number of rock gardens; even a little bit of old highway to wind out in top gear and take a sip of water. I have not found it to be terribly dusty in the years I have ridden-one year we had rain and the next two years the wind blew strong enough to make it a non-factor; it can be dusty in the first few miles until everyone gets strung out. In my opinion I don't think the race is particularily difficult, but then I haven't finished the last two.

May 8, 2000
I've ridden the Desert 100 the past three years, did well the first year and two dnf's since, last year with a broken back. The course is the same each year for the most part and they change direction the following year. They are no longer on the South side of I-90 and are using private ground North of the Interstate. The course is three loops with sage brush and a number of rock gardens; even a little bit of old highway to wind out in top gear and take a sip of water. I have not found it to be terribly dusty in the years I have ridden-one year we had rain and the next two years the wind blew strong enough to make it a non-factor; it can be dusty in the first few miles until everyone gets strung out. In my opinion I don't think the race is particularily difficult, but then I haven't finished the last two. Sorry about that, forgot about the edit button!!! Please delete the two previous feeble postings.

[This message has been edited by olddirtbaginmt (edited 03-06-2001).]

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
those jedi mind tricks don't work on me, i'm an engineer, those are for the feeble minded.

* arms raised, walking in a mumy like trance*
i might be game if i can get the bike together by march 31 & ride the two weekends after that.
uuuhhhghhh!
*snaps out of trance*

what am i getting myself into?

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Well, better get to work then :) As it gets closer we'll have to zero in on it. Let the force be your guide... I forgot I was talking to a fellow engineer...

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
moving took a lot more work than i thought it would... i haven't touched the bike yet, much less ridden it. i'll try to get it together for the poker run, but i'm not doing the 100, i'm in no shape & neither is the bike.

HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
etc.

I was hoping for another trance. Did it work?

;) :D ;) :D ;) etc.

Shoot now I'm dizzy!

------------------
BEN
I don't have to out run the bear I only have to out run you!

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
funny but nope, no trance this time... reality likes to smack me in the face occasionally. i'm no dummy... i know better than to jump into a race like this one...i know my current riding ability... i eat lots of dirt every time i ride. this year it's the poker run, if i'm up to it, next year may be the 100... if i'm close still.

MIKE

Nov 27, 1999
I raced the 100 a couple of years ago. The guys with odometers said it was about 114 mile long, but that figure can change from year to year. If you have been riding some and are in good riding shape you will survive OK. There are some particularly rocky sections so running heavy tubes with a little higher pressures is a good idea. I finished the race and felt damn good about it, I hadn't been riding that much that year and it showed. I hurt so bad the next day (even theough I didn't crash) that I could hardly function so being in fairly good condition is important. Use a drink system and take some basic tools because help is not always close by. As for the real bad rock sections, have you ever ridden down railroad tracks? Sometimes faster is better, after the first lap you will know when. Wear all the safety gear you have as a fall on the rocks is not very forgiving. As for me I haven't decided yet but I may be there.

MIKE 2000 KTM 300MXC eastern wash.

Top Bottom