Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Anyone planning to ride the Variety Riders Dist. 17 hare scrambles this Sunday? We're planning to be there, along with a few of our usual riding companions.

It's located at Trumbo's Farm at the south intersection of Interstate 80 and Route 71 on the west side of Route 71 (directly across from the strip bar). Sign up is from 8:30-10:15 and race is at 11 sharp. A two-hour race. Should be a lot of fun, hope to see some guys out there.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Hey, Bob. I'm planning to be there. Just promise to go slow on that first loop, OK, so I don't get lost.

If anyone else is debating about coming or not, a buddy might ride my 1981 KDX420 (with what only marginally pass as working front brakes) since he hasn't bought a kickstarter for his broken down YZ400 yet. This will make for some excellent entertainment.

James

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
Jamie, tell Mike to get that damn bike fixed and get his butt out there. ;)

Bob, see ya out there as usual. Looks like we're getting just enough rain to make it interesting. :thumb:

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Hey Jamie, Joe told me you were coming. That's good, look forward to seeing you on Sunday. With the rain we're getting, it should be good.

Joe, save me a spot if you get there before us.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
The rain has been real spotty here around Naperville and Joliet. It looks like it'll clear out totally by Saturday, so it should be good, hopefully. We'll have some fun, Ryan. Maybe you can get into another battle with some of those Husky's?

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Oh no, Ryan! Your Dad is not coming?? And worse yet, quad riding?? I am going to have to have a talk with him!! ;) Let me know if you want help with gas or anything, I would be glad to help out! See you Sunday!

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Everyone have a good time at the race? I thought it was a fun course, VERY TIGHT. It was greasy on the first lap from all the rain the night before, but by the mid point of the race the conditions were really nice with good traction. All in all, a fun event.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Thanks Bob and to Anne again for helping me. I have to laugh when I hear all the guys saying how tight it was. I thought it was perfect, more like enduro trail than the typical wide open rutted Dist 17 HS. One of the best races I been to all year, then again maybe I'm bias after finally winning one this year.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Ryan and Jamey - it's all a matter of what you're used to. I come from a background in dirt track racing and when I first got into woods riding a couple of years ago, anything involving trees seemed TIGHT to me. You don't need hand-guards on a half-mile dirt track! But now I'm getting more used to it and my definition of tight has changed quite a bit. The Variety Riders race was one of the tighter courses I've run on. Compared to a typical hare scrambles, the trees were very close together. There was a lot of low gear, wiggle in between the trees stuff. I've never ridden an enduro, but that is how I envision enduro trail to be. It was good experience for me and I had a great time.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
You said it, Bob. My whining about the course was just in fun -- any race both you and your bike can finish is a good one! Considering my headache is gone and my neck now only hurts when I look at my feet, I'd say the Mill Creek race over in Indiana would be on the agenda, even before the Red Bud open riding day, if I didn't already promise my second oldest I'd take him riding. (Still, I think he's just going for the McDonald's pit stop afterward.) Hopefully we'll see you at Sunset Ridge on the 5th.

James

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
Yeah, for as badly as I did I still had a good time overall. As soon as I learn to stay on the bike I'll probably enjoy it more ;) . I am bummin I missed the D17 Championships at Sunset though :( .

Jamie, my eyes must be deceiving me. I know you didn't say you'd rather run the HS in IN before Redbud :confused: . As it is I'm out for this weekend anyways and probably for a while now as I've re-injured my ankle :( .

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Well...the year's almost over and I have a lot of points to make up! Or maybe my head isn't as healed as I thought, and judging from any hint of sincerity in that first statement, it probably isn't.

Quit worrying about Sunset! It's not like we would have won or anything...sustained fewer injuries, yes...win place or show, no.

Anyhow, you'll get your Sunset fix in on Oct. 5 when Bob joins us. I just hope Mike finds his bike by then so I don't have to be the slowest guy there.

James

Top Bottom