SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hey guys,
Right now I'm looking for a vehicle to take to University (in Edmonton - about 1000km away from Trail) and to haul my bike. I was originally looking at a small Toyota 4x4 truck, but I'm having no luck finding a decent one in my price range. Since I'm a university student, I'm on an extremely tight budget - less than $5000 CDN, preferably less than $4k but I might be able to stretch it. So far any 4x4 I've found in my price range has been a POS. I'm starting to get a little impatient as my plan is to have a vehicle before the July 1st weekend as I want to go to a race in Lytton, BC (~6 hour drive). My dad has been telling me to look at 2wd pickups but I'm a little leary about the 2wd ones as we can get pretty bad roads in the winter. So, my other option is some friends of my parents are selling their 1989 Toyota 4Runner 4x4. It's in excellent shape and has all the options I want, except for being a pickup truck. The 4Runner is well within my price range (they'd give me a deal at under $3k) and would probably last me quite a while. The only thing is I'd need to find a trailer to haul my bike. Currently I use my parents' GMC Yukon and utility trailer to haul my bike. The trailer can be a bit of a PITA, but is useful. The other thing is, I'm in Edmonton for 8 months of the year in the winter and having covered storage (either a canopy on a pickup or an SUV) would be nice for commuting home at christmas and reading week and making road trips. Basically, what do you guys think? Should I keep waiting for a pickup (preferably extended cab) or just go with the 4Runner? Thanks.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
The 1989 was the last year with the removable top. When its off it resembles a pickup?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
3.0 V6 or 2.2 inline 4?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
How about one of those receiver hitch carriers for the back ( not sure if its has the capacity or not) or a small open trailer?

Maybe not ideal but you'll have lots of room in the back for your gear.

Or like said (though I have no idea myself) the top may come off!

Good Luck!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds like you have lined up a great deal on the 4-runner.

While it may be hassle dealing with a trailer, I think you should snap up that 4-runner before the sellers change their mind.

As a poor college student, you are probably not going to be riding all that much. The 4-runner at a great price sounds superior to a beater 4wd pickup for the 350+ days a year that you don't ride.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Thanks for the tips. It has a pop-off top but the owners have never taken it off so we're not sure if it will even come off. It has a 5 speed tranny and the V6 engine (head gasket has been replaced already, so no worries). It comes with summer and winter tires, though the summers will need replacing next year. It doesn't have a towing package, but the guy towed a small boat with no troubles so I think a small trailer won't be a problem. I'm going to think about it this week as I just put a wanted ad in the paper, but if nothing happens this week I think I might go with the 4Runner.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sounds like an ideal college vehicle. You should have NO trouble towing a trailer with the V6, and the top WILL come off. I saw one yesterday with the top off. It looks kinda weird with the rear rollbar, but topless is still cool.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Well, thanks for the advice guys. I test drove the 4Runner today....and now I'm the proud owner of a 1989 Toyota 4Runner! I pick it up on Thursday and I am so stoked! I'll post some pictures once I pick it up.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Congrats, should be perfect, those things are pretty much bullet proof.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
Its a good vehicle but don't expect better than about 13mpg with those things. That v6 motor guzzles gas. Goto the forums on pirate4x4.com for more info on your newly purchased vehicle. :)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Timing belt every 60k. Head gaskets every 100k. Keep an eye on the radiator. The upper tank will leak at the bond. If you ever remove the top, make sure to replace the gasket otherwise it'll leak every time it rains.

Top Bottom