Vertex big bore kit wr250f instructions

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hi,

A friend of mine bought a VERTEX 300 BIG BORE KIT for his wr250f (I think it is an 06) anybody know of any online instructions? He bought the kit off of an auction site and it came this way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rick

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
What specifically does he need to know?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
He said there were 4 rings, he needs to know if they go on any specific way or not. Also, he was not sure if there was a locating pin on the piston. Is there a specific was the piston goes on, similar to haow 2st pistons have an arrow facing the exhaust. Do you need a ring compressor or can it be done with the fingers while lowering the cylinder down?

THank you Rich,

Rick

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
4 rings? That's a wavy one, 2 really thin ones, and one thicker one? The wavy one goes in first, in the bottom ring groove on the piston. That's the oil ring spacer. Make sure the ends don't overlap when you install it. The two oil scraper rings install above and below it in the same groove. The thicker ring goes in the top groove. You can compress the rings with your fingers, a compressor is not necessary. The arrow usually faces the exhaust on all pistons (there are exceptions). It should be easy to figure out on a Yamaha, look at the number of valves on the exhaust side and line up the side of the piston so that the side with the same number of reliefs is under the valve. Don't forget to check your ring gaps.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Thank you,

He figured it out last night and got it back together.

There is no locating pin on a 4st piston? I have never done one, just 2st.

Rick

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
2-strokes have locating pins to keep the ring from rotating so the ends don't snag in the ports. 4-strokes have no ports, therefore, it is ok to let the ring rotate.

Top Bottom