KX02

Jan 19, 2004
:I'm doing a top end job on my KX125 and am replacing the original piston with a Vertex. I had a couple of questions about them if anyone here has any experience with them. I buffed the whole lower end of the piston w/ scotch brite to make sure there aren't any jagged edges touching the cylinder. When I installed it on the rod I found out that the circlips that came with it fit REALLY tight, they were rather difficult to seat. I've never seen circlips that tight on any OEM Japanese piston (Vertex is Italian). Also I've been told that Vertex makes different size pistons for the same cylinder bore, to account for wear I would think. The one I have says it is 53.97mm, My KX cylinder is 54mm. Anyone with any experience running these pistons, I would appreciate your comments! :clue:

mxmatt426

Feb 2, 2004
Wow, tight fit. I have used vertex before and seen problems, mostly cold siezes. Buy a factory piston they will out last anything else. Just my 2 cents.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I just checked my manual, DUH! 53.97 is the spec for a new piston, so I'm good there. I hope mine doesn't seize like you said, thanks for the warning!

BlazinBoy

Feb 13, 2004
Yup the way the OEM pistons are today you cant go wrong with em. They are better than any aftermarket piston but you pay a premium price for em.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have used weisco pistons for quite some time now. How come you guys like the factory part better? I am no topposed to changing, if need be.

stimps

Jun 25, 2003
Had a single ring vertex in my Yz250 for about 20-30 hours. Stripped the engine for a refresh and found loads of blow by, way more than with the original piston that had done a whole season with the previous owner. Bought a complete new wiseco set. This has 2 rings like the original and the bike imediatley ran a lot better after the rebuild. I think the vertex was smaller than the wiseco and probably wears quicker with the single ring. I would not use vertex again but keep it as a spare with a new ring for emergencies.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
This is what is so cool about these forums. I really appreciate the comments. I dont think I bother to say "thanks" enough.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rcannon said:
I have used weisco pistons for quite some time now. How come you guys like the factory part better? I am no topposed to changing, if need be.

After looking at tons of pistons from a lot of different engines I no longer believe the OEM pistons hold any advantage over a Wiseco, and in a lot of cases you can buy the Wisecos cheaper than the OEMs.

Top Bottom