John A

Jun 23, 2007
Started riding dirt bikes a couple of years ago and ready to move up. Unfortunately all the larger cc bikes are too tall for my inseam.

I meet someone this weekend that told me he installed a 250cc engine in a CR85 expert frame. Does anyone have experience with the swap. Is the CR 125 the same frame as the CR 85?

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
Just how short are your legs? It's not unusual to only be able to touch with 1 foot when stopped. If you're not very heavy, you may also not compress the suspension enough (should be 4" in the rear), adding to the skyscraper feeling. Having the correct spring rates helps quite a bit here.

How about shaving the seat, or lowering the suspension? The smaller chassis and wheels are much less stable than full-sized ones.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Matt Fisher said:
Just how short are your legs? It's not unusual to only be able to touch with 1 foot when stopped. If you're not very heavy, you may also not compress the suspension enough (should be 4" in the rear), adding to the skyscraper feeling. Having the correct spring rates helps quite a bit here.

How about shaving the seat, or lowering the suspension? The smaller chassis and wheels are much less stable than full-sized ones.
Absolutely. Shave the seat foam, and send the suspenders out. You'll be fine. :cool:

Mavrick70004

Oct 17, 2006
They Sell Lowering Links Also that can lower the bike about 1.5 inches (that is what they meant by lowering the suspention) there are different companies but here is something to give you an idea

http://www.mountainmotorsports.biz/pages/customcatalogs/viewcategories/59/lowering-link.aspx

depending on how short you are, if yer really short and this is not enough than yea shaving the seat installing the link and setting your suspention up right should do it for ya

John A

Jun 23, 2007
I am 5'5" and 145lbs. Stood next to my friends 250 and the seat was about belt high. I was told lower links upset the balance of the bike. Doesn't the front need to lower also?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
John A said:
I am 5'5" and 145lbs. Stood next to my friends 250 and the seat was about belt high. I was told lower links upset the balance of the bike. Doesn't the front need to lower also?

John - Having owned a few lowered bikes I can assure you the ONLY proper way to do it is to get the suspension modified by someone who is VERY familiar with the requirements of this type of work. I always use Jeremy Wilkey at MX-Tech for my lowering work but there are other good suspension guys who also know how to do it. Generally guys who are familiar with DTX and flat track suspension tuning will have a good handle on the procedure.

Here's some good info on what Jeremy did to my YZF MX/DTX/SuperMoto bike.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=5236

My lowered YZF444 and my lowered CRF450. Both of which work spectacular on MX tracks. :cool:

YZF_Motard_DT1.jpg

Attachments

• CRF_DTX_1.jpg
    CRF_DTX_1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
I'm only 5'6" @ 170#, (though several years ago I weighed right what you do now).

Standing next to the bike does not give you a real indicator of the proper ride height, though some bikes are certainly taller than others. The suspension should sag 4" when you sit on it. Find someone that weighs about what you do and has their suspension set for them. You'll likely have better luck with a 125, since they are generally sprung for softer riders, though a 250 with softer springs would be the same seat height.

If the bike is lowered, both ends should be done.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Rich Rohrich said:
John - Having owned a few lowered bikes I can assure you the ONLY proper way to do it is to get the suspension modified by someone who is VERY familiar with the requirements of this type of work. I always use Jeremy Wilkey at MX-Tech for my lowering work but there are other good suspension guys who also know how to do it. Generally guys who are familiar with DTX and flat track suspension tuning will have a good handle on the procedure.

Here's some good info on what Jeremy did to my YZF MX/DTX/SuperMoto bike.

My lowered YZF444 and my lowered CRF450. Both of which work spectacular on MX tracks. :cool:

That's one beautiful Honda Rich.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I second MX-Tech. They lowered my AF 1-1/2" front and rear. Bike corners like it's on rails and still soaks up the big stuff well. BTW, I'm 5'6" and 165#.

Attachments

• cr5gold2.jpg
    cr5gold2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 387

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
IndyYZ85 said:
That's one beautiful Honda Rich.

Thanks. It's probably my favorite of all the bikes I've owned or ridden.

Section 8

Jul 13, 2003
I'm 5'4 (5'5 on a GREAT day) and i'm roughly 155-160 pounds.

I used to ride a 03 cr 125, I now rock a 05 yz125 and a 04 crf450R. I dont have any problems stopping on either bike. My legs are SHORT. my upper torso is much longer than my legs. just get the bike and learn to live with it!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
darringer said:
I second MX-Tech. They lowered my AF 1-1/2" front and rear. Bike corners like it's on rails and still soaks up the big stuff well. BTW, I'm 5'6" and 165#.
I'm same as you- 5' 6" and 165#. Been really considering lowering my YZ450F (a tall bike to begin with!) to improve cornering and so I can touch the ground. Thanks for the picture and recommendation for MX-Tech. Will really consider that this fall just before the real riding season starts.

I have shaved my seat a little but it messes up the cockpit and makes it feel chopper-ish.

Top Bottom