john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
has anybody had this problem and how did you fix it? the problum is on a 99 kx125 the clutch pull is very had (harder than a yz400 and any 250 i have tryed trust me it's way too hard for a 125)the bike has a stock clutch springs and a new clutch cable and a hinson basket also one of those easy pull msr rapter perch and lever set in the easy pull position but it feels the same way with the stock lever.the problem seems to be that the clutch acuating arm is in the wrong postion, its too far foward (its in the postion its should be in when the clutch is pull in but the clutch is not pilled in (if that makes seince)so the cable has no leverage on the arm what should i do ?do you think it could be the arm itself?and has anybody else had this problem what did you do to fix it.also the clutch works desent besides being way too hard to pull in. thanks

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
if you've ruled out the obvious things like cable, springs etc, you might need to check the actuation lever. Now i don't no about Kwacks, but my Honda has a little bearing where the acuation lever enters the casing and pushes the rod across into the clutch itself. It's located in the same compartment as the ignition.If the bearing has collapsed then that could be your problem. I presume it's lubricated by the gear oil, but it's worth a look.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You need to find out why the arm isnt in the correct place.Its seems to me the clutch actuating rods total length is too short-maybe due to a bearing missing from the end(some bikes have a single bearing at the end of the rod but some dont)

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
My stock clutch basket was so notched and cause hard clutch pull. Also use stock cluthc plates and spring and you will notice a big improvement.

Erik

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
ok i took the whole clutch apart tonight including removing the clutch basket and after close inspection of all clutch parts nothing seems very worn every thing looks great no wear makes and i checked with a service manuel and it has all the right washers and bearings in all the right places and after reasmebling all i was looking at the bearing in the presure plate that the rod pushes on to disengage the clutch and it had a gap of about 1/8" between the bearing and the plate so i put a 1/16" shim between the bearing and the clutch pressure plate and the actuating arm is now it the right postion and the clutch is about 1/2 is hard to pull in so far it seems like it has fixed the problem this is just a tempory fix i am going to try replacing the actuating arm its the only piece it the whole clutch that has the littlest bit of wear on it maybe then i can take out that shim i just installed. any thoughts?

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
John,
I wouldn't try to shim it as it will likely cause other problems.

Did you also replace the fiber plates in your clutch? If so, what type did you use? I've heard that some aftermarket plates can be thicker than stocker and may cause your problem. If you did change the plates and still have your old ones, stick 'em back in to see.

Also check to ensure there is only one washer (92022 below) between the case and basket, and one washer between the basket and inner hub.

Good Luck,
Scott

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 700

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
John, did you put the basket in with the spacers and shims in the correct place?

I dropped a washer that was about 1mm think while putting the Hinson basket in my YZ 250. It took two hands to pull the lever.

I finally gave up and decided to call it a night. I was sweeping the floor when I found it. The washer would have moved the basket 1 millimeter from the bikes centerline.

I put it back in and the pull was nice and smooth. This was with the heavy duty springs supplied with the new clutch kit.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
the whole clutch is brand new (haven't even riden yet)sotck plates friction and fiber and springs i think mike might have the righ idea about replacing the clutch arm, i already ordered one and will try it without the new shim and see if it is any better.like i said i took my time and checked all the parts when assembling the bike and they were all there in the righ places including the washers i have a service manuel to go buy. i think it might be a case of just a worn clutch actuating arm i'll let you know in a week or two when i get the new arm.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom