Very new guy from Ohio

Freefall_nut

Mar 16, 2006
New guy from Ohio here, living in Suffiled, near Akron.

I just bought a new (never ridden) 2002 RM250 today!

I only have about 10 hours of experiance on a dirtbike (on any motorbike) and I got that about 2 years ago. Havent ridden before that or since then. Just bought the new bike today (paid 3400) and am looking for anyone around here that might be interested in giving me some pointers. I start it, shift, brake, and turn...but beyond that....

Anyway...I dont have any friends that ride bikes so Im kinda in the dark here.

Im 6'2 240lbs 23 years old and would love to find mentor or at least someone to give me some pointers.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I'd recommend the following:

1: Search the forums here - there are TONS of pointers.

2: Go to the local tracks as they open this spring and ask for pointers. There will certainly be people willing to help, and they can probably point you to someone who gives classes. TAKE A CLASS!

3: Buy one of these books - new or used, it's worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...002-4758833-5356002?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...002-4758833-5356002?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

4: Go to this site and sign up for the free 4 day course that pops up on the main page:

http://www.motocrosstrainingcenter.com/

See this related site as well:

http://www.gsmxs.com/

By the way, the trainer from the above 2 sites, Gary Semics, is located in Lisbon, Ohio and gives classes there. His star pupil was Jeremy McGrath.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Thanks for setting up your User CP and updated information relating to your location. Grab a spot on the couch.

Check out all the links Rob included. They are all good ones.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Hey freefall I live fairly close by you. My friends and I are ready to tear it up as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. You are welcome to come along as well, and we could give you some pointers on your bike. Do you have any place in particular to ride?

Freefall_nut

Mar 16, 2006
yeah for sure!

I have a small field behind my house. Not too big, but enough to practice turns and such. Its about 2,000ftX1000ft. Basically if you start in 1st gear and pin it, right about the time you feel like shifting to 2nd its time to start braking.

Definately not worth driving here for, but it is enough to let me work on the basics (turning, stopping, etc).

Definately let me know when you go riding. I will send you a PM with my email.

Thanks
Allen

Freefall_nut

Mar 16, 2006
it wont let me send you a PM, says I dont have permission to access the page.

my email is skipro101 at hotmail

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Freefall_nut said:
Its about 2,000ftX1000ft.

2000x1000??!! That's like 7 football fields long and 12 football fields wide.

Both of my local tracks are built on an area smaller than that.

Are you sure you didn't mean 200x100?

Last edited:

Freefall_nut

Mar 16, 2006
got your email ;].

Hrmm, ok, I should have thought a little harder about that one.

Its about the size of a football field, alittle shorter and a little wider. I cannot build on it though, so Icant make jumps/track or anything. Plus, I am moving here in about a month or so...but it will do for practicing turns.

Freefall_nut

Mar 16, 2006
Im moving to Tecumseh Michigan on May 10th. It is just North of Toledo.I will be there for the summer and then will be moving back to Akron in around September.

I will be making trips home throghout the summer though, so I will still ride in Ohio.

Something I'm wondering about though, im a Pilot for a skydiving business....I am always working weekends. Do people ride much on Monday/Tuesday?

Might be hard to find someone to ride with me during Monday/Tuesday, but at least it wont be so busy that I will get run over ;]

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Well as far as trails I mentioned, BC and Elson, I would have to call and see if they are ever open during the week. I bet they are during the summer months. Motocross tracks around here are open on weekdays too. I'm not sure if you feel up to that though. When I take vacation time during the summer I do like to ride during the week when I can.

Freefall_nut

Mar 16, 2006
Yea, I definately want to ride a track...especailly if its not busy (like, during the week).

So Scenic is open on weekdays? I looked on their schedule and their next open practice is like a month away!?! Does that mean its closed untill then? I want to ride Scenic but I dont want to wait till the end of April.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I've never been to scenic. I've been to Outlaw Extreme, they are not too far from you I think, and Battlesburg is close to Elson. My friend knows the owner...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…