Razor85

Aug 16, 2002
I'm in the market for a new mx bike. I currently ride a 2001 YZ125 and really like the bike.

My question is since the vet class in not restricted by displacement do you think a 2 stroke that was bored to 134 or 139 would be a better bike than the new four strokes. I have yet to ride a four stroke mx bike.

Other issues to take into consideration is maintanence. I know 2 strokes pretty well and don't have the time for maintaining a bike like I used to.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Been riding a CR250 for the last three seasons (I'm 46 ) but I just swung a leg over a CRF 250 and I think I'm in love! I haven't ridden a punched out 125, but I have a hard time imagining one would do any better at hauling my big carcass around than the lil thumper, I AM thinking now about what a 300 thumper would be like though :p

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Beef,

I am a 39 year old vet and I race a 03 CR 250. I have been thinking about making the switch to four stroke. I watch guys at the track and they just seem to be so relaxed on them. At the track I go to the guys on CR450's only shift once or twice.

I don't know what would be better the CRF250 or 450. You rode the CRF250, how did it compare with your CR250?

My big concern is that the 450 will have too much power, most of which I will never use. My goal is to get the torque and not have to worry as much about shifting and finding the powerband so I can concentrate on riding better.

Thanks,

Walt

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Walt, the 250f may be a little stronger down low than my cr, I dont think it has the mid range that my cr does but it revs to the moon, the biggest differnce is that the track was really hard pack, and the lil thumper would hook up and accelerate out of the turns with no drama. I weigh 215, (yeah I know) and the bike would let me clear anything i clear on my CR, and it felt more stable on the jump faces, I think I might have to pop for new fork springs, since the bike wasn't mine I didn't mess with the clickers all that much, but the shock will be OK. I had an absolute blast on it! The guy I was riding with stepped off of a crf450 for it and swears he's faster on this one, I do know he can do more laps without pulling over, I dont know if he's much faster on this one a(fter the first two laps he gaps me anyway), but he is definitely not slower. :aj:

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
I am @ 160 lbs. I am leaning towards the 250F, I think the 450 is going to kick my butt too fast. My CR250 has more power then I could get the most of anyway. In my vet races, endurance is a key, at our ages it's only the first two laps that count, the rest seem to be more of a survival game! Endurance would be the key.

Thanks,

Walt

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey Walt I really think you would like the CRF 25O, The one I rode was owned by a HOnda dealer and I just found out that he had put his 450 suspension on it, so I can't comment on a track test of that, but even my big butt I thought it had plenty of power and it sure is fun to rev it to the max and not get thrown offo of the back.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
And now back to you Matt..
I think the answer to your question is found in the statement you made that you have yet to ride a new 4 stroke..
DONT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO RIDE ONE!! The new breed of 4's are AWESOME! You owe it to yourself to find out just how awesome they are and see if they are to YOUR liking!
Woodsy

Top Bottom