BSer

May 1, 2001
I have a 2002 YZ125 that I bought new in 02'. I've never raced motocross but rode dirtbikes my whole life. I raced BMX in my early teens and realize it's usually the other guys that make you break bones. I'm 36 years old and for some reason decided I want to enter a motocross race this weekend.

Should I enter 125C or Vet B? I believe those are my option here in Wisconsin. In 125C I have a good chance of not finishing last if I don't get mangled by one or more of 30 hormone driven throttle hungry teenagers. In VetB the class size would probably be around 10 with guys that have faster bikes and more experience...I don't know if I could live with last place.

What do you think?

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Less chance of getting hurt with only 10 riders (statically). However, those 10 guys may well be faster than you especially if its an AMA district race. My first Vet B district race was very depressing. Those guys disappeared after 3/4 lap into a 3 lap race. I think I started to hear birds chirping along with the sound of my own bike. Seemed like I had the whole track to myself!

If you are a real noobie and being last is an issue with you, then just keep it on two wheels and finish. Someone always seems to crash and get last. I don't care where I finish as long as I walk away, had fun, and a did a few things right. Winning is just a dream for an old part-timer like me. Although, I have a couple good stories about what could have happened.

Good luck and have fun.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Either let all the c riders go and then catch as many as you can, this way you don't have to deal with all the first turn crazyness, not to mention inexperienced riders.

My choice would be to go with the vet riders, first couple guys are usually fast, but you get your regular guys at the back. And there all a little older,.. and most have to go to work on monday! :nod:

Mike

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
You mention that BMX taught you that its "usually the other guys that make you break bones." well the 125C class is full of those guys, 10' tall bullet proof and the next big thing dream. Race the Vet class and have fun!

BSer

May 1, 2001
Well I did it! I decided to enter the 125C class, finished 14th out of 24. Kept it right side up the whole time, raced my own race and didn't let my guard down. I did have to make an emergency manuever to get around a crash on the start of moto 2, but luckily wasn't involved, it just moved me pretty far back in the pack.
The VetB guys looked pretty fast and all ran 450's. Also, the Vet A and Vet B guys were stagger started and ran longer moto's. I think I made the right call racing C.

It was fun. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom