B

biglou

I just ordered three games online yesterday, even though I suck at gaming! I check out reviews at gamespot.com before ordering, too. Being from an aviation background, I love flight sims, or flight mission games, so I ordered Ace Combat 4 (looking at the GameSpot site, there is a Ace Combat 5 coming soon). They gave A.C.4 a 9.0 (or thereabouts) rating. Also, I ordered JakII. It got great ratings as well. Third, I ordered Rattle and Clank, which got a 9.0 across the board. This is not the newest version of this game, this is the first version. The newer one got an 8.8, mainly for being inherently less surprising. Plus, the first one is available for $19.99.

I noticed a lot of the previous years' top shelf games have come down in price dramatically. So, if you're looking to save, and who isn't, you can go that route. I saw Devil May Cry, etc. for about the same $20 price.

I noticed a Gran Tourismo 4, too. I still haven't gotten very far with GT3, so I didn't really look too hard at that one. It's still full price @ $50, too.

I saw where the Madden2004NFL game got a perfect 5/5 on X-Play on TechTV if sports games are on the list.

I also am still struggling with Metal Gear Solid 2. Having only made it into the second level. I'm stumped with trying to locate some bomb and "freeze" it with some spray or something...

Frankly, I'm just blown away by the graphics and sound of all the new games. I'd probably buy all the highly-rated games if I didn't suck so bad at them or play so infrequently. I still get a kick out of my N64, too. I think you can get those decks used for $20 at the game exchange places. I still love the Mario64, and Doom64-which I have cheat codes for so I can run around with impunity and check out all the scenes and not worry about getting wiped at every corner. I play my games on the easiest setting, and even still I get killed regularly! Seems to me, that to complete a game successfully and without cheat codes, you'd have to run through so fast that you miss all the cool scene design! I kind of like being able to go through and check it all out. Having all weapons is cool, too. If you get tired of blasting monsters with the shotgun, the plasma rifle pulse detonator time/space continuam(sp?) ripping blow torch will do the trick!

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I just picked up JakII and Rachet gone commando for my son they both recieved high ratings!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm still struggling with Tomb Raider II. But of course the head youngun of the house @ age 7 is fast becoming better than me.

I'll look at the flight sims too. Thanks Lou.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
im in the midst of playing splinter cell right now and that game is awesome. also i would save your money for mx unleashed to be released in january.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Check out the Medal Of Honor series.. Great storyline goes along w/them.. I finished the 1st one, but now riding takes up most of my time :)

B

biglou

Just got back from the post-turkey day Wally-World shopping bonanza. The Medal Of Honor series is going for $20 each. I think I saw Splinter Cell for cheap, too. Can't remember, though. SO many games. I decided to splurge and picked up my first PC game, Halo-Combat Evolved, at full price. Getting ready to play after I surf a while. I guess after 10 months it's time I put this kickass Dell box to the test, eh?! :aj:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the tip Lou, i will be going too WallyWorld later tonight when the crowd isn't so bad :laugh: We'll see you up in Reno??
Rick

B

biglou

OMG! Halo! Go get it! Keep in mind, Nintendo 8bit was entertaining to me, but holy cow, this game is incredible. Just played through level one on the easy setting, now moving to level two. Had to pause to read a walkthrough I copied online, though. I also went and checked GameSpot's review of this one: 9.0 again. I give it two big thumbs up. Worth the full-price sticker, IMO. :thumb:

And yes, I'll be at Reno, good Lord willing and the crick don't rise (as they say in Oklahomer). :)

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Metal Gear Solid for (works in ps1 and 2). That imo is th best game ever! You can play it over and over. The plot is amazing and so are the characters. Beat it on each difficulty level, if you can......

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I hated Splinter Cell, but really liked the 1st Medal of Honor (have yet to play the second one yet). ACE Combat 4 was OK, you can beat it in one evening pretty easily...probably the best "sim" you can buy for PS2 (or so I've heard). I'm MUCH more into computer gaming. If you like flight sims and 1st person shoot-em up games, my top 2 recommendations of all time are: 1.All of the Rainbow Six series (PC gaming only--PS sucked) are some of the best 1st person killhouse games.....VERY awesome if you're into online gaming and 2.Falcon 4.0 ... I use Falcon 4.0 to hone my flying skills, that's how good it is.

B

biglou

Cool. I'll check out Falcon 4.0. I played a flight sim on a buddy's computer back in 95 or maybe 94 and it was amazing for me back then. I knew nothing about puters back then, and he had the throttle and stick accessories. I was flying the F-18 and doing carrier landings, etc. Pretty cool stuff. This was in Meridian while I was tech'ing on the A-4's. Another cool treat was when I went to visit a buddy after he got winged and was in the fleet and he got me 2hrs in their sim. Can't say exactly where and all that, but THAT was the best video game I ever played! ;) I'll put it this way, you can feel the seams in the concrete as you taxi out for t/o! And, it only took me three tries to catch the three wire. The first two were bolters. Not bad for a ground-hugger like myself! lol We did some spin recovery, touch and goes at a local airport, carrier approaches in the rain, buzzing the nearest big city's skyline-diving inbetween the skyscrapers, etc.-after two hours, I was exhausted. I had to pee, and I couldn't stop smiling for a couple hours!

Sorry for hijacking your thread crim!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
if your looking for a shoot em up trigger happy murder fest then go with Soldier of Fortune. rainbow six and socom have a bit more of a plot and tactics with their game but still the shoot em up style. splinter cell is not a killing game, it requires tactics, patience and is a game with stealth in mind not killing everyone in a level to win.

for a MX game, atv offroad fury 2 is pretty good if you can get over the fact that you are riding on a couch with an engine :) but i would hold out for for mx unleased, it is made by the people that did mxm2 and is said to pretty released in january.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yeah, we've got those "visual" sims for the T-45 up here now. Before each stage of training (Familiarization, Formation, Weapons, etc) the first few flights are done in the sim, serves to save money on fuel and "wear and tear" on the plane, while also getting us better prepared for the actual A/C. They are really cool! I've actually gotten motion sickness just sitting back and watching someone else fly it!

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
Compared to last year I don't think that there are as many hot titles on the market but a couple that have caught my attention are-
1) GTA3/V.C. bundle pack- 2 amazingly fun games for the price of one
2) Medal of Honor Rising Sun
3) Grand Turismo 4
4) Need For Speed Underground

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I thought SOCOM on the PS2 was fun. GTA was a blast as well as Vice City, never got thru VC though. On the X-Box, Gotham Racing 2 is pretty good, but still, on a console, nothing can touch Gran Tourismo... still.

On the PC, you have GOT to check out Max Payne 2... the first one was a blast, played the new demo, SWEET! Ordered the game, should be here tomorrow :) Also, Call Of Duty ROCKS! There are two demos of that game available.

As good as the console games are, they still can't touch the good PC based games.

Note: "True Crime" is a Grand Theft Auto knock-off with a couple of twists. Pretty fun though.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
True Crime looks pretty cool, but haven't played it. GTA was fun, but has becomes nearly imposable for me to beat, so I quit playing it. A great shootem up game is Hitman 2, check it out real fun, decent story line to. I also realy like all the Medal of Honor games, 1 and 2 are the ones I have played and beaten, Rising Sun looks fun, but it will be hard to beat the beginning of number two. I mostly rent games, were I live it is like $3.00 for a week, if I haven't beaten it or got bored with it after a week I will go buy it, but that rarely happens.

Top Bottom